Country Cured Ham - From Go to Show: Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mr T - 

First off, thank you so much for this thread.  A search on curing a country ham brought me to your thread and as such, I've joined the forums.  You're efforts in consolidating the myriad of techniques and methods out there into a concise set of instructions is invaluable.

Did you ever manage to take any pictures of the finished product or post any comments on how you prepared it and what it tasted like?

I'm inspired to begin my journey towards doing one (or two...) of these soon and I can't thank you enough.

Chris near Atlanta

Thank you for the kind words.  It has been a truly interesting thread to do.  As stated in the original thread " success or failure would be witnessed here". 

Well to put it simply, the results were mixed as there were according to some, good ones. There were bad ones and then what I felt were tweeners.

A couple of the larger hams spoiled, the others according to guest were very good, but unfortunately they did not meet my taste expectations.  This most likely was do to the time and effort that was spent in producing the finished hams. 

Would I do it again?  Not using this technique at the prices of pork today. 

Major lessons learned:

The hams have to be extremely fresh to begin with, this is hard to do by purchasing from a store. I am almost certain that the ones that soured were to old to use this technique on.

Insure the salt mixture is packed deeply along the bone areas. 

To help prevent bone sour, the addition of a brine injection along the bone areas would be highly recommended.

Like it is said," Nothing ventured, nothing gained".

If I can remember how to do it, I will post pictures before long and post the results in the original thread.

Over all it was a interesting adventure.

Tom

Very interesting post Mr. T.

My ham (using this method) is currently aging. I have since started another using a different method. Im not certain how my ham (the one that is aging) will turn out, I have high hopes for it but after your comments I am a little worried. The problem I personally had with this method is I believe by spreading the applications out into three weeks you are allowing far too much time for the flesh to tighten and toughen to the point there no more cure absorbs! I had a bad feeling when I applied my third application because almost none of the cure absorbed.

My new method I used was I first made my own cure (4lbs salt : 1lbs brown sugar and spiced with pepper (black and red)) and I used the rate that 8 pounds of salt with 2 pounds of brown sugar will cure 100lbs of ham. so my mixture was 5 pounds using the ratios above which would cure 50lbs of ham. My ham was 23 pounds so this makes the math easy, I was to use 2.3 pounds of cure to cure this particular ham. I weighed it out and I added it ALL on the first day and I JAMMED it in the hock as far as  I could till I literally could not pack more in there then I added it all over and there was so much I actually had to piled it up and pat it down over and over. Using waxless paper I wrapped the ham carefully to keep the cure on it and managed to get a ham sock around it and hung it shank side down. I noticed this time around MUCH more water coming out of the ham. I have to think that I am going to get ALL the cure in the ham this time. I really do think that this method is ideal because it gives the cure a chance to all get in the ham. anyone intrested in this method it is outlined beautifully by an expert in animal sciences at the University of Kentucky, Dr. Rentfrow goes over everything.

Last edited:

Very interesting post Mr. T.

My ham (using this method) is currently aging. I have since started another using a different method. Im not certain how my ham (the one that is aging) will turn out, I have high hopes for it but after your comments I am a little worried. The problem I personally had with this method is I believe by spreading the applications out into three weeks you are allowing far too much time for the flesh to tighten and toughen to the point there no more cure absorbs! I had a bad feeling when I applied my third application because almost none of the cure absorbed.

My new method I used was I first made my own cure (4lbs salt : 1lbs brown sugar and spiced with pepper (black and red)) and I used the rate that 8 pounds of salt with 2 pounds of brown sugar will cure 100lbs of ham. so my mixture was 5 pounds using the ratios above which would cure 50lbs of ham. My ham was 23 pounds so this makes the math easy, I was to use 2.3 pounds of cure to cure this particular ham. I weighed it out and I added it ALL on the first day and I JAMMED it in the hock as far as  I could till I literally could not pack more in there then I added it all over and there was so much I actually had to piled it up and pat it down over and over. Using waxless paper I wrapped the ham carefully to keep the cure on it and managed to get a ham sock around it and hung it shank side down. I noticed this time around MUCH more water coming out of the ham. I have to think that I am going to get ALL the cure in the ham this time. I really do think that this method is ideal because it gives the cure a chance to all get in the ham. anyone intrested in this method it is outlined beautifully by an expert in animal sciences at the University of Kentucky, Dr. Rentfrow goes over everything.

Probably the first important procedure is to acquire the freshest ham possible.  As you have discovered in your research, there are numerous ways of curing hams.  Some apply salt in stages while others apply it once as you are doing on your latest ham and it goes on from there such as times and temps.

One will only discover what works best by trying different methods as you are.  By being the adventurist that you obviously are, one has to be able to accept failure as well as success.

Keep us up to date on how they are doing.

Tom

I just discovered this thread this morning and have been reading the biggest part of it. I have been interested in curing a whole Ham for years now but just never did take the plunge until 48 days ago. I bought a 22lb fresh Ham and followed the UK video. Even using the same Ham sock as he did. Got them from Amazon. I used his cure recipe and added Red  and Black pepper to it. And I used brown paper to wrap it in because I could not fine any unwaxed butcher. My Ham is hanging in a dorm frig at 36 to 38 degrees until it is finished curing then I will smoke it and hang it to age for 10 months. I will hang it outside as much as possible..By the way I did inject my Ham at the joint and along the bone because that's where they go bad most of the time....By the way Mr. T GREAT thread !!! And Kitchen !!!!!

I just discovered this thread this morning and have been reading the biggest part of it. I have been interested in curing a whole Ham for years now but just never did take the plunge until 48 days ago. I bought a 22lb fresh Ham and followed the UK video. Even using the same Ham sock as he did. Got them from Amazon. I used his cure recipe and added Red  and Black pepper to it. And I used brown paper to wrap it in because I could not fine any unwaxed butcher. My Ham is hanging in a dorm frig at 36 to 38 degrees until it is finished curing then I will smoke it and hang it to age for 10 months. I will hang it outside as much as possible..By the way I did inject my Ham at the joint and along the bone because that's where they go bad most of the time....By the way Mr. T GREAT thread !!! And Kitchen !!!!!

I was checking your threads to see the "Country ham" thread.... You haven't started it yet... but I did find a thread you need to finish...
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/101420/possum/20

I hate it when this thread gets bumped up! Now I'll be drooling all over the keyboard all day long!

I can almost smell that ham from here!

Roller,​

I'm not familiar with the UK video but would like to see it, please PM me with the link.

Sounds like you are on track for a good result. The paper you used should be fine.

Please check my post # 202 above for my results.

It is a exciting project, good luck and remember to post your results.

Thanks for the kind words,

Mr. T

Edit:

Spelling teacher made me write on the board 100 times, " Cheap Beer".

Last edited:
EXITING PROJECT or EXCITING PROJECT... just wondered if you were leaving ??
biggrin.gif
Alright, who made you my speling teacher?  Glad you got my back though.

T

Mr. T I just got a new computer and it has windows 8 and I am lost with it. You can find it on youtube under how to cure a country ham....Its UK University of Kentucky....I will know in a couple of months if mine stinks or not...hope not..

Yes thanks.  Talk about getting older.  I am familiar with the Country Ham You Tube.  I was thinking (duh) you had found something from the United Kingdom not the University of Kentucky.

I went to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, don't like it.  Hope to go back to 7 today.

Hope all is well,

T

Last edited:
Great stuff T thanks.  So my hams are in a ham only fridge with brown sugar, salt , black pepper, red pepper on them..they are hanging and I will be shucking them in a few weeks.  After I shuck them I will smoke at like 200 for 6 hours...is that correct?  After the smoking I read that I should hang them at about 70-72 degrees, how important is that 70-72?  Can I just hang them in the basement at 50 and let them go or do I need a certain temp?

Thanks
Zeek

Great stuff T thanks.  So my hams are in a ham only fridge with brown sugar, salt , black pepper, red pepper on them..they are hanging and I will be shucking them in a few weeks.  After I shuck them I will smoke at like 200 for 6 hours...is that correct?  After the smoking I read that I should hang them at about 70-72 degrees, how important is that 70-72?  Can I just hang them in the basement at 50 and let them go or do I need a certain temp?

Thanks
Zeek
Zeek, 

If you are curing your hams, I strongly advise pumping curing solution into the joints and along the bones. Please update me, what is shucking a ham? Why are you going cook them then hang at room temperature if they are cured? 

T

Maybe I wasn't clear I am attempting a country ham, why would I inject brine?  Also after reading more it seems that your technique is a little different than what I was using.  I am using this technique as my guide: 

Shucking is cleaning the ham after the initial cure is complete, after that equalize and smoke then age...right?  So I assume your comment about cooking the ham has to do with the 200 degrees I put in there?  

I guess since I am doing it differently my questions do not apply to the technique you documented.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky