Cornish Game Hens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gorgeous looking birds Jake, you nailed it again, Like! We love asparagus but lately all we see is the really skinny stuff, I pass on that. RAY

Gorgeous looking birds Jake, you nailed it again, Like! We love asparagus but lately all we see is the really skinny stuff, I pass on that. RAY
Thanks ray. Kroger had some pretty good looking asparagus this go around

i raise chickens most years. right now i have just 3 egg layers n 2 large geese[normally i butcher the geese in fall] Ya'll do know that Cornish game hens are just little chickens, right?? and store bought meat chickens are like 42 days old,, i raise mostly heritage and for butcher they take more than 4-5 months.. but when i do raise meater's I dont feed as much and takes 65-70 days.. some just wanna sit eat n die right in the food.. to me 42 days is to soft of meat..and those meater's are hybrids and cant reproduce another meater bird.. and and taste and especially texture is no comparison to raised..

Last edited:
i raise chickens most years. right now i have just 3 egg layers n 2 large geese[normally i butcher the geese in fall] Ya'll do know that Cornish game hens are just little chickens, right??
Lol yup I'm pretty sure most everyone on this site knows what a cornish hen is. Guess I could have cooked grown-up chickens but a 4-5lb chicken looks weird on a plate and I wouldn't have had room for asparagus and rice

Last edited:
Morning smokers just stopping in to post up our Christmas meal. Started the day off with some cowboy queso to snack on during the day. Ground beef, red onion, cilantro, red pepper flakes,black beans, Rotel, velveeta, pepper jack, pale aleView attachment 477217
No finished pic but looks the same only melted lol

Had cornish hens for supper. Rubbed up with some cajun seasoning @tx smoker sent me. Onto the smoker at 225 for some smokeView attachment 477218
After about an hourView attachment 477219
Cranked up heat to 350 to crisp the skin. Here's a pic of them resting on the counter. Very juicy with some crispy cajun skinView attachment 477220View attachment 477221
Plated up with some asparagus topped with fresh parmesan, mozzarella, pepper jack and thyme,bacon. Also some wild rice with shitake and portabello shrooms. Was a pretty tasty meal. Hope everyone had a great Christmas!View attachment 477222
Oh my! That looks delicious!

Those hens look great Jake! I see them quite often and always overlook them as well I need to grab some next time I am out. Hope yall had a great Christmas.

Those little babies look great Jake, Nicely done. We haven't had game hens in a few years. Wife and I both got really sick after eating them one night, We weren't sure of what caused the issue, but we haven't dared eat them since. We may have to revisit that this summer.

Chris

Those hens look great Jake! I see them quite often and always overlook them as well I need to grab some next time I am out. Hope yall had a great Christmas.
Thanks John we don't have them often either but really love them. We did have a great Christmas. Hope yalls was great as well!

Those little babies look great Jake, Nicely done. We haven't had game hens in a few years. Wife and I both got really sick after eating them one night, We weren't sure of what caused the issue, but we haven't dared eat them since. We may have to revisit that this summer.

Chris
Thanks Chris. Maybe something wrong with the birds you got? Who knows. Give them another shot. Lightning PROBABLY won't strike you twice

Great looking meal Jake, we love those little buggers they shine over fryers in both taste and texture.
They cost more than the fryers out here, but they are a nice treat from time to time.
This sounds excellent " Ground beef, red onion, cilantro, red pepper flakes,black beans, Rotel, velveeta, pepper jack, pale ale " Is the beer in the mix or a side to it? Do you just heat it up enough to melt the cheese? This is new too me and I gotta try it.
Thanks.
Dan

Great looking meal Jake, we love those little buggers they shine over fryers in both taste and texture.
They cost more than the fryers out here, but they are a nice treat from time to time.
This sounds excellent " Ground beef, red onion, cilantro, red pepper flakes,black beans, Rotel, velveeta, pepper jack, pale ale " Is the beer in the mix or a side to it? Do you just heat it up enough to melt the cheese? This is new too me and I gotta try it.
Thanks.
Dan
Thanks Dan the beer is in the queso. Here's how to make it

Brown 1lb ground beef, drain grease, put beef back in skillet and add a 12oz pale ale(I used sierra nevada), simmer for 4-5 min. Then pour beer and beef into crockpot. Here are the rest of the ingredients. They go straight into crock:

32oz velveeta cubed
8oz shredded pepper jack
Can of rinsed black beans
2 cans Rotel
Half cup chopped cilantro
Half cup finely diced red onion
Tsp red pepper flakes

Mix together and set on low for a couple hours until melted stirring every 30 mins

• Love
Reactions: forktender
Thanks Dan the beer is in the queso. Here's how to make it

Brown 1lb ground beef, drain grease, put beef back in skillet and add a 12oz pale ale(I used sierra nevada), simmer for 4-5 min. Then pour beer and beef into crockpot. Here are the rest of the ingredients. They go straight into crock:

32oz velveeta cubed
8oz shredded pepper jack
Can of rinsed black beans
2 cans Rotel
Half cup chopped cilantro
Half cup finely diced red onion
Tsp red pepper flakes

Mix together and set on low for a couple hours until melted stirring every 30 mins
This will be made very soon maybe even for New Year's I have everything but the cilantro on hand most of the time. Thanks a lot Jake I appreciate this a bunch.

This will be made very soon maybe even for New Year's I have everything but the cilantro on hand most of the time. Thanks a lot Jake I appreciate this a bunch.
No problem bud let me know how you like it. It's full of flavor

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky