Corned Beef Pastrami - Sous Vide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Braz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 25, 2017
Indiana
I have tried several different pastrami recipes and methods but have not been able to get SWMBO's enthusiastic approval till now. She has way more experience in New York delis than I do. After trying this one she told me to go through the file and throw away all the other recipes and keep this one.
Started with a pre-packaged 3.5 pound corned beef flat picked up on sale around St. Pat's day. Soaked for 24 hours with several water changes and then added a pastrami rub. Here's the rub recipe I used. Not sure where it came from, probably this forum somewhere:
4 Tbsp coarse ground black pepper
2 Tbsp coriander Powder
1 tsp mustard powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder

_DSC0067.JPG

Then I let it rest uncovered for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Here it is ready for the smoker.
_DSC0070.JPG

Smoked with hickory pellets at 225F for a little over six hours and took it out when it reached 145F internal temp.
_DSC0072.JPG

Vacuum sealing for a 24 hour sous vide bath at 155F. SWMBO has an irrational dislike of anything having to do with sous vide. I think a relative of hers may have been slowly boiled by savages or something. I have not told her that this pastrami, of which she heartedly approves, was actually sous vide. (Anyone know the past tense of "sous vide?")
_DSC0074.JPG

After cooling and another overnight in the refrigerator it was time to finally give it a try. Looks like an odd way to slice but the grain was running on the diagonally on this piece.
_DSC0076.JPG

My lunch, just to sample the results. SWMBO was out for the day. The next night we had sammies piled higher but they got gone before any pictures could be taken. I suppose someday I'll have to confess the sous vide thing but for now I am just going to bask in the warm glow of approval.
_DSC0077.JPG

There are many different pastrami sous vide recipes out there, some do sous vide first and smoke second and the time and temp settings are all over the map. I picked these settings "out of my hat" just based on a gut feel as to what might work. And it does. Thanks for watching and be sure to tip your bartender.

Reactions: xray
Looks great Braz! I am doing this exact same thing for Saturday. I’m starting the soak tonight.

As for 155F @ 24hrs, I believe Al started this back when he bought his SV circulator....It’s a great time/temp.

Like you, I have tried others as well...I like this method the best. The leftovers always make a great breakfast hash!

Nice. Now if your Grocery will only carry the same brand year to year. Usually bought on best price, I have gotten 5 different brands in five years. Some, outstanding some horrible. Save the CB Label so you know what to look for...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky