Core them out

Discussion in 'ABT's' started by gethenet, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Whats the best method for coring these puppies out?

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

i cut em in half.......make a boat/canoe outta em...........doubles the amount, and makes it easier to get the seeds and ribs out..........then just place a piece of bacon on top, secured with a toothpick.........

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=15793

3. Thanks..yeah..thats how I normaly do them...was just wanting to try the whole method. If they are big enough...I have found a carrot peeler works great...thank the wife for that info[​IMG]

4. mgwerks

mgwerks Smoking Fanatic

I buy large ones and split them down the side. you can squeeze them open like a coin purse, and clean them out with an apple corer. It's a little more work, but is more aesthetically pleasing than trying to keep two separate halves together. I then fill them with a Ziploc bag-turned-piping-bag. One toothpick securing bacon end at the bottom, tight wrapped spiral of bacon to the top, and another toothpick.

5. cajunsmoke13

cajunsmoke13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I always use them whole and place them in my rack. I have a small serrated knife that curves up at the end and it works great. Wife likes them mild, so I am able to core them all the way out to include the membrane. I like A little kick to mine.

6. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I don't know the best method for coring, but I usually cut them in half lenghtwise, then run a small spoon down the membrane and it wipes the seeds along with it.