Cooking Temperatures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kajunkue

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
New Orleans, La.
I have finally had some time to sit and read thru a lot of discussions.  This site is awesome because the people here share everything.   I'm still new at most of it and learning more each time I log in.  The best thing I think I have learned is about the resting period of the different meats.  Did an overnight Boston Butt for the first time 2 weeks ago and it was the best thing I've smoked since starting and learning how to do it the right way.  I would love to see a list a cooking temps for all the different meats that are smoked.

I have finally had some time to sit and read thru a lot of discussions.  This site is awesome because the people here share everything.   I'm still new at most of it and learning more each time I log in.  The best thing I think I have learned is about the resting period of the different meats.  Did an overnight Boston Butt for the first time 2 weeks ago and it was the best thing I've smoked since starting and learning how to do it the right way.  I would love to see a list a cooking temps for all the different meats that are smoked.
I never saw a list, but other than slow, warm smoking or cold smoking Bacon type things, I would use about 225*-230* as a starting point. Then if it's something small like a couple pork chops, you could drop back to 200*, but I wouldn't go lower. If it's something large like a Butt or a Brisket, you could go up to 250* or 275*. If you want crispy skinned Chicken, near the end go to 275* if that's your smoker's MAX, or higher if you can.

I use 225* to 230* for just about all meat----You can check the Step by Steps in my Signature below.

Bear

Thanks to both of you.  Bear I was looking for the temps you gave as well as finishing temps.  Like I said I'm still learning.  My brother in law is coming in town and I'm putting a butt on Saturday night for Sunday's Saints vs Da Bears game on Sunday.  My wife looks at me like I'm crazy because I get so into the preperation of everything but she really enjoys what comes off the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky