Cooking on open fire: beef chuck and Guinness stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Beautiful spring day - good for cooking on a campfire.
Beef chuck seared over open fire, cut into cubes, simmered with Guinness beer and red wine in camp Dutch oven, plus vegetables.
A total of 4 cans of Guinness were consumed in this cook: 1.5 for the stew, the rest for the cook (me).

Man I just love watching your posts. Stew looks delicious. You should come visit us for the Tennessee Gathering April 30-May 2 at my home. Gonna be a great time to get together with some forum members and cook up some great food. My brother is in huntsville. It's only an hour and a half from me.......bring your guitar

Beautiful preparation and stew my friend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I enjoyed the use of the Schwenker grill technique searing the beef chuck. Send me a PM the next time you do this and I'll bring the beer and Brotchen. But give me 5 hours to get there , depending upon the traffic on I 75/20 rush hour?! 🍻

Beautiful preparation and stew my friend. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I enjoyed the use of the Schwenker grill technique searing the beef chuck. Send me a PM the next time you do this and I'll bring the beer and Brotchen. But give me 5 hours to get there , depending upon the traffic on I 75/20 rush hour?! 🍻

You are right. The Germans use a swinging grill called Schwenker. Its handy because not only does the swinging motion average out any hot spots, but you can raise and lower it. It's relatively new for me but I think I like it.

Man I just love watching your posts. Stew looks delicious. You should come visit us for the Tennessee Gathering April 30-May 2 at my home. Gonna be a great time to get together with some forum members and cook up some great food. My brother is in huntsville. It's only an hour and a half from me.......bring your guitar

Thanks for the offer. We're going to the beach (St. Joe area) May 1 so I couldn't make it. Gonna grill up some fish and shrimp.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Great looking stew. I really enjoyed the video. Great job on the music, too. Nice slot head. Is it a Martin? (It's just a little hard to make out the logo).

Great looking stew. I really enjoyed the video. Great job on the music, too. Nice slot head. Is it a Martin? (It's just a little hard to make out the logo).
Yea, it's a 1964 Martin OO-21NY. It was originally purchased by a young lady in California inspired by Joan Baez. It sat underneath her bed for many years before eventually finding its way to me.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky