Cooking Chili for about 150 people. Charity event

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
I just found out local Kiwanis is helping out our local school that has a grant to build a playground in a day. This will be done in 2 shifts and there will be about 200 people doing this build and Kiwanis is feeding them all with burgers, brats, and Chili.

I have made Chili for people but never this many. Kiwanis will get me any meat I need and that is were I need to start off at. What meat would be best to use. I am thinking of maybe doing 4-6 pork butts pull the meat and then just put it right into the chili mix or maybe to a few Beef Clods or even mix the two together. What meat would be best? I just can not see being over a stove and browning meat for hours the kitchen would be a mess.

Also what would be a good Chili recipe for feeding this many people. I know it can not be to spicy. I am going to use my turky frier setup to cook and warm it up. That way I should be able to make I think around 10 gal of it. I am not sure how much that thing can hold yet.

Any tips or ideas for making this kind of cooking would be very helpful. I still can not belive I have to make this much Chili.

As far as the meat, I'd cube the meat first before smoking it.. you can sprinkle some of your rub on the pieces. This way the meat will cook quicker than cooking the whole clod and give the chili a nice smokey flavor.. I've made chili this way in the past.. that's 2 cents

Joe

Well to keep cost down for them I could not make it from scratch. When I went to SAMS they they premaid over 7lbs cans for about $6. So what I did do for some flavor is I have a stach of clud and brisket crust so we added that and it went over very well.

cheech on the forum for catering there is a resizing tool for recipces. that you can take and enter a small chilly and it will give you the amount for 150 people. Mike.

Yea I know. My problem was when I went to buy everything to make it from scratch I was about double the price then what I did. The meat alone was about $50 and to get everything premade only was $75. I do have to say we had a large family party for my grandmothers 90th birthday and how her healh is going I she might make it to 100. If we have that party I am going to be using that tool to help me out. To order the food in last time was a lot of cash.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky