Cooked Eggnog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL

Ingredients​

• 6 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt (scant 1/8 tsp)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 - 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp rum extract
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg (preferably, grated from whole nutmeg)

Instructions​

• Beat eggs well, beat in sugar until smooth.
  • Stir in 2 cups milk.
  • Cook over low heat until temp=160F…remove from heat.
  • Stir in vanilla, rum extract, and nutmeg
  • Stir in 2 cups cream.
  • Sieve into container…chill.

C cutplug , I make eggnogg like this pretty often, and have microwaved egg milk mixture to cook it a bit... but always tastes more "eggy" then. I have all the Appendix A cooking temp tables, but what is a good temp to sous vide eggs so they don't cook in the shells? Do you toss eggs in water in shell, or mix stuff up then sous vide? I really like the idea, but am wondering what temp /time is a good one ?
Thx!
SherryT SherryT thx for recipe!

Well if you feel your immune system isn't up for raw eggs per the Anova website.
  1. Set your Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 135.0ºF / 57.2ºC.
  2. Mark the eggs to be pasteurized with a P or some other moniker with a water proof marker.
  3. Gently drop the eggs, in their shells (not vacuum sealed), into the bath to cook for 1 hour 15 minutes.

If only eggnog did not have all that sugar - I used to love the stuff. Your recipe sounds great!

If only eggnog did not have all that sugar - I used to love the stuff. Your recipe sounds great!

I haven't made it with a sugar substitute, but I think it would work. If all else fails, add your sweetener of choice in the glass/cup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky