Converting Weber Kettle 22 to WSM with an extension?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I saw this picture and am dying to have something similar, thinking it might be superb at low and slow
That ring is similar to a Vortex. Search around here and there are plenty who have one and use it for various things.

For cold smoking I use a second rack on my Weber and then a pellet tray in the bottom. I do have a rotisserie ring but have not needed it for the extra room.

How about one or two of these? Weber Kettle warming rack.
1668646961645.png

Chris

How about one or two of these? Weber Kettle warming rack.

Chris
That is nice but I don't think it would work for this application. I might track one down just to have on hand though haha. All yalls great ideas have got me researching thing I would have never otherwise found. I was able to track down a video of a guy making a DIY basket and diffuser which might solve some of my problems going to link it down below.

He uses it in the traditional manner But I think I can make my snake a nd put this on top of it

Right now I have just done brisket on the weber kettle with the snake method and would like to get the brisket up higher away from the flame. I also plan to use the taller set up to fit more sausages while cold smoking in it.
This is something I made awhile back for a different reason , but you could adjust grate size and length of the pipe to fit your needs .
1668688670320.jpeg

I made it so I can get at the snake easier if needed , but the snake on my 26 " kettle runs an average of 10 hours . After that I'm going to the oven , so I never used it .
1668688633244.jpeg

Reactions: gmc2003
This is something I made awhile back for a different reason , but you could adjust grate size and length of the pipe to fit your needs .

I made it so I can get at the snake easier if needed , but the snake on my 26 " kettle runs an average of 10 hours . After that I'm going to the oven , so I never used it .
I love that idea, my biggest need for the second grate was for cold smoking sausages so I may make one that is a bit shorter than yours. If I build a heat diffuser that alleviates my concern about heat coming directly from the smoke tube and allows me to use the whole first rack and then that second rack like you have may work well to expand my space enough

I love that idea, my biggest need for the second grate was for cold smoking sausages so I may make one that is a bit shorter than yours. If I build a heat diffuser that alleviates my concern about heat coming directly from the smoke tube and allows me to use the whole first rack and then that second rack like you have may work well to expand my space enough
I Was going to do something like you're talking about , but switched directions .
Anyway , this is the charcoal grate from an Old Smokey charcoal smoker . It comes in one that fits a 22 " and one that fits an 18 " .
( those are Old Smokey sizes ) The one for the 22 " fits just below the cooking grate on a 22 " Weber . I think . Been awhile since I messed with it . I was actually working on putting an offset fire box on a kettle , and was going to use this a a diffuser , or use the ring out of my 14 " WSM under the Old Smokey grate so it could act as a deflector .
I bought this one at Academy sports , but I see them on Amazon for about 15 bucks .
1668693693326.jpeg

Thanks so much for that. I also thought about adding a firebox. Were you could to have the heat come up through the bottom or were you going to cut a hole in the side of the weber?

Were you could to have the heat come up through the bottom or were you going to cut a hole in the side of the weber?
I was going to go through the side . I have an old Happy Cooker . Looks like a 22 " kettle . I was going to use that , just didn't make sense after looking at it and the money invested .
I bought a 26 " kettle and that thing does a great job on long cooks like brisket . My SmokeFire pellet makes great food . My MES 30 with the Auber handels hams and sausage , and the 22 " performer does the grilling and the spinning . I have a 14 " WSM , but never use it .
Genesis 310 gas grill has it's uses too .

I was going to go through the side . I have an old Happy Cooker . Looks like a 22 " kettle . I was going to use that , just didn't make sense after looking at it and the money invested .
I bought a 26 " kettle and that thing does a great job on long cooks like brisket . My SmokeFire pellet makes great food . My MES 30 with the Auber handels hams and sausage , and the 22 " performer does the grilling and the spinning . I have a 14 " WSM , but never use it .
Genesis 310 gas grill has it's uses too .
Gotcha, yeah at some point might as well get an off set if it costs too much.

I just to keep costs down before I do something drastic I think I am going to try to make a pizza pan deflector and play with my grates to lower my temps some. The deflector should stop my issue with the heat being too high at times and maybe that way I can get a longer cook.

Reactions: chopsaw
they make a rotisserie that fits on the kettles, it would raise the lid maybe 6'' or so [ i would have to go measure}. you would have to figure out some kind of supports to put on that ring to hold a grate up farther away from the heat. don't know if that distance would be enough for what you would like to do?
If you’re handy you can make your own extension, go to your big box store; HD or LWs and look for a small roll of 12” aluminum flashing (no paint) and some small screws. Also, metal fabrication shops have many odd sized pieces of thin sheet metal laying around (free). Roll it to fit your grill, I’ll work for a while until you decide on to spend big money on a real deal!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky