Converting old oil tank into smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lady Smoker 2021

Original poster
Aug 24, 2022
Southeren Central Virginia
Has anyone convereted an old oil tank into a smoker? if so how hard is it? My new house which I'll be moving into very soon has one (thought I had a pic of it but I don't). As soon as I can I'll get pics.

Has anyone convereted an old oil tank into a smoker? if so how hard is it? My new house which I'll be moving into very soon has one (thought I had a pic of it but I don't). As soon as I can I'll get pics.
I really wouldn’t want to eat anything that was smoked inside of an old oil tank. I’m sure there are quite a bit of toxins that would be released into whatever you’re smoking. I would highly advise against it.

Oil imbeds itself into the steel so
I would not advise using that to
Cook food. They do make a Great waste oil burner or wood burner heater for your garage tho

I've cooked on large old oil tank smokers. No problems at all. make sure to clean and burn it out.
RG
This! I've made several years ago. Use to could get them for free. So anytime I came across a axle. I'd hit the local thrift store grab some bed rails weld up a frame and make a big grill.
Cheap dollar store oven cleaner and some purple power then a few big hot fires. Good to go!

Reactions: radioguy
We had one split horizontally. Just a large covered grill. We would pile up coals, hardwood on one side and cook indirect. We could do a lot of chicken quarters at once. The only downside was that it was thin steel, and not hold heat on a windy day.

RG

i love when ppl use those oil tanks as grills/smokers, theres so much real estate with those, thin metal and all, as long as you give them a good burn out you should be fine

Well, my FH and I were finally able to get into the house at the end of Sept but had to wait until just a few days ago for internet service so as soon as I can I'll take and post pics of the oil tank I'm talking about.
I do have to say that as of these days NOT only do I have the vertical Char Boil smoker I also have a Expert Grill 3 Burner gas grill and a Royal Gourmet off set smoker/grill combo. Yes, as soon as I can I'll post pics of them also

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky