• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

converting gas grill

smokedad

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 16, 2016
I have a gas grill that bit the dust, and I was wondering if anyone has converted one to a wood-burning offset smoker. I believe the one I have is a Char-Broil classic 3-burner gas grill. I know you would have to cut a hole in the side and add a fire box, and add a chimney, but beyond that I don't know what else would be involved in making that work, or if it's worth the work to try it. I have never done a project like this before, so it's all new to me.

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2018
I suppose it would be possible, but gas grills typically have a HUGE vent in the back that would make turning it into a smoker problematic.....just not a good design to start with. That said, someone smarter than I could probably think of something to get around that, but not sure how much trouble it would be.

banderson7474

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 24, 2016
I just googled the classic 3 burner. Is that the one around 130 bucks? To me, the amount of effort and money to put into it, it wouldn't be worth it. Personally, I think the biggest factor of smokers are the quality of the metal so it keeps heat consistently.

However, don't change your mind b/c of me, maybe you just want a project! Good luck either way.

smokedad

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 16, 2016
I did see the vent in the back and wondered how that might be closed to keep smoke and heat from escaping. As I am not a welder or metal worker I think it would probably be a lot of money and time to do something like that, and I have plenty of other projects to work on. My wife was trying to make sure the grill ended up in a recycling pile somewhere, but I wanted to see if it could continue life as something better before that happened.

ravenclan

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 8, 2009
Would work as a cold smoker. but still need to close off the vents, not to hard since it will be cold smoked

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 13, 2017
Sometimes, there comes a time to move on.
I think you might be at that crossroads.
I have a fully functioning gasser. But my experimenting with doing smoking with it was futile.
I even made a baffel I can hang over the mile wide and treetop high back vent.
But to me... fagetabout it.

If you want an off-set, get an off-set.
Then never look back.

I have Natural Gas piped in my backyard "kitchen". So I am apt to stay a gasser. I like the instant success of it.
But a wood burner has a lot of appeal to me.
I suppose I'm just lazy. But at 68, I figure I've earned to right to sit on my butt.

Last edited:

Ty friesen

Joined Oct 24, 2019
I used two cast aluminum bbqs, mates one on top of the other to make my smoker. While a lot of heat escapes the firebox (bottom bbq, mounted upside down), heat is incredibly stable and i think it looks neat.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks