Converting charcoal to propane

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pastick

Original poster
Dec 24, 2020
I had an old Charbroil 3 in 1 smoker/grill.It rusted out quick,but ,for me it did the job.I'm buying a bullet type charcoal smoker(Weber or Charbroil 16 or 18" dia.) and want to convert it to propane.I'll use it for mainly grilling.I plan on putting a layer of lava rocks over the burner when grilling.Any ideas on the best burner to use? I've looked at both banjo and pancake style burners.Banjo seems right,but will any drippings from the meat cause issues dripping into the upright holes.The pancake style burners have the holes on the side,making me think the pancake a better option.Any ideas on both burner and size options would be appreciated.Happy Holidays to all!!!

Welcome to the forum, its a bad idea from start to finish, you cant restrict the airflow in or out on a gas grill or smoker but very little, hate to see something blow up.

I’ve seen some folks convert a WSM to propane and I think there are kits out there to do it. But my question would be why not just buy a traditional propane grill if that’s what you’ll mainly do?

I’ve seen some folks convert a WSM to propane and I think there are kits out there to do it. But my question would be why not just buy a traditional propane grill if that’s what you’ll mainly do?
I do have a beat up traditional propane grill.We used to smoke on Sundays(football).My old Brinkman worked great(at least for us)I don't want to have 2 grills on my deck.I also plan on building a bbq cart for my smoker/grill.

Thanks for the welcome.My old Brinkman worked great for both smoking and grilling.It seems like my plan is no different from my old smoker.The WSM and the Charbroil Bullet Smoker both have air flow vents both top and bottom.

Gotcha! Is there a reason you want to do the conversion instead of getting a dedicated propane smoker?

Gotcha! Is there a reason you want to do the conversion instead of getting a dedicated propane smoker?
Yep,I grill most of the time,smoke on "occasion",and only want one unit on my deck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky