• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Converting a Char Broil CB940x to a smoker

Anthony21078

Joined Aug 16, 2020
Hey everyone. I have a family trip in 10 days and I would like to attempt a quick conversion of my uncle’s char broil cb940x into a smoker for several racks of ribs. The grill is already at the house and its the only option to attempt a smoke.

I have been smoking meats on my vision grills kamado with the use of a Flame Boss for a little while and I am comfortable with smoking.

I know this won’t be perfect and I am sure there will be some air leaks but I believe I can seal up the grill with high temp felt in enough spaces to keep the heat in. If the flame boss fan needs to work a little harder to keep the temp up then it shouldn’t be a problem. Only need a temp of 250-275 for roughly 6 hours.

I believe felt around the entire lid, the front draft door and the air holes on the each side will be sufficient. The Flame Boss has a few adapter plates that I also believe I can wedge into one of the side vents for the fan. I am not looking for perfection as this will likely be a one time use smoke.

I need a recommendation or idea on what to use for a heat deflector. I am aiming for 4 racks of ribs so I will need a heat deflector that will take up almost the entire grate.

Anyone have experience with a conversion like this or any tips? These are generic pictures of the grill and the adapter plates for the fan

Attachments

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.