Contour

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneb56

Original poster
Oct 19, 2020
Rochester NY
Good afternoon everyone. I’m in the middle of a 500 gallon build and I was looking for ideas on how to fit the collector on the end of my tank. I was going to buy a contour gauge but I haven’t found any that are large enough. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Reactions: winsa12
Are you trying to figure out the arc size you will need for the collector?

This formula may help or may not...

Attachments

• ARCH CALC.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 16
Here are a few pics of the collector on my 500 gallon tank build. It is not reverse flow. Temps run very consistent across the grates.
037C5EE0-84F5-4C9A-AF99-49ECF07DC42A.jpeg
F9B11ACF-2CBF-44C3-B734-3C46532D4DFD.jpeg
080C050A-AE5F-4130-A8A6-C0D24B346ED6.jpeg
738A7555-B7D9-4E6E-BDE2-C0343D559001.jpeg

Reactions: sawhorseray
old school method is to hold a piece of cardboard against the tank at the point you would like to attach plenum. Trace the tank contour onto the cardboard, cut it out and repeat until the cardboard template fits snugly onto the tank contour. I mock up the entire plenum with cardboard and painter tape. once it is the way I want it, I deconstruct and use the individual pieces as templates foe cutting the steel. It is a time consuming process up front, but mistakes made with cardboard are a lot easier than reworking steel.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky