Consistent TBS with charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gixxerfrk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
This topic may have already been covered in great detail so I’ll apologize in advance if I am reposting a well covered question.

I use a Brinkmann Vertical Trailmaster w/side fire box. I run two charcoal baskets and typically use Kingsford Blue. In order to cut out guesswork and extra work I have just been alternating adding coal to the baskets so that they never run out at the same time; however, I have been adding the coal cold so I always have a period of thick gray smoke during charcoal heat up. I know I can avoid this by prefiring my charcoal in a charcoal chimney but this seems wasteful as some of my coal burns up prior to adding to cooker. Has anyone used another brand that doesn’t burn like this during heat up or am I stuck doing extra work to maintain TBS consistency throughout my cook?

Sorta but not really. I’m separating my baskets with about a 2-3” gap. I’m not sure that would really address my issue on longer cooks though. The KB wants to off gas for about 15-20 minutes while warming up even before igniting producing the TGS.

Royal Oak will burn better then KBB. Can you post a pic of your charcoal baskets. If they're what I envisioning then you may need dividers.

Chris

I don’t have bad tasting food but simply trying to find ways to improve my craft and make better tasting food.

2D83C344-9B72-4C29-8647-66626A5570C6.jpeg

Don't fret about the price. You can make them cheaper.

Chris

I used to keep a bag of lump around and use it to add as needed to the already lit coals . I don't worry about it any more .

GMC are you saying that using a box configured like the Okie Joe box you linked to will reduce or eliminate the off gassing that occurs when adding cold charcoal to the hot firebox? I thought the primary purpose of the minion method was to control burn rate or am I mistaken?

Yes, the charcoal is lighting itself at a slower pace. It's the same principle that I use with my WSM(minion method). If you need to refill. Then just gently tap the used ash into your firebox and reload. Let the charcoal make it's way back to the other end of the charcoal basket. You can bury your chunks of wood into the unlit charcoal for the smoke flavor. Don't reload until it's almost finished. You don't want it burning in both directions. It should provide a steady even temp throughout your cook.

Chris

Interesting. Sounds like I might be building a new charcoal box soon

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky