Considering moving to pellet smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneyb72

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 11, 2014
So I have had a Masterbuilt vertical propane smoker for about 5-6 years and have done quite well with it.

But I’m looking for something new!

And like many others on here, I’m strongly considering going to a pellet smoker. My lazy side likes the idea of setting the temp and not having to worry about it. My Masterbuilt definitely requires a good bit of attention to maintain temps.

After hours of reading, I seem to be most interested in the RecTec RT700.

But I am growing a bit concerned that pellet smokers may not offer the smoky taste that I love. It seems if you start off a bit lower (180-200) then maybe you can still get good smoke? It also seems like you need to choose good pellets...something I would’ve never thought of! I would’ve bought the cheapest pellets figuring they were all the same little pieces of wood!

Appreciate any thoughts, advice, or warnings!

If you like heavy smoke you might not like a pellet smoker, they burn pretty clean, you can add a pellet tube to help with smoke , If you can try some food off of 1 before you spend $ on 1 you will not have buyers remorse, that said folks like the rectec smokers

They have a low smoke setting that does heavy smoke at low temp. If you use it for first couple hours it does give more smoke flavor. I was like you but now I am happy with the smoke from pellets. Cleaner taste.

They have a low smoke setting that does heavy smoke at low temp. If you use it for first couple hours it does give more smoke flavor. I was like you but now I am happy with the smoke from pellets. Cleaner taste.

I agree , also use good pellets like lumberjack. Some guys will use a tube filled with pellets in the chamber as well to get a bit more smoke. Personally I am happy with the smoke flavor of my Rec Tec

My only regret with getting my Rec Tec was that I didn't do it sooner. You may need to experiment with pellets to get the smokiness you want,but IMO they are worth it. I'm fine with the smoke flavor of the extreme smoke setting and some CookingPellets/Lumberjack Hickory pellets.

Pellet smokers remind me of a good projector/TV professional calibration. You hear it's the best and once you go for it your initial reaction is that the picture is too dim. You were used to the overblown flame torch settings that most displays came with from the factory (the brighter and more vivid on the store shelf next to the competition the more displays sold) and to your eyes it just seemed... dark. But then, after a few uses, you realized that this was indeed the proper setting and your experience got SO much better for all conditions for a much more enjoyable experience overall.

Pellet smokers were the same way for me. At first, I was like... where's the smoke? I was used to smoke soaked meats and just thought that's the way smoked meat should taste. After a few smokes though I realized that THIS is how meat is supposed to taste. The flavor of the meat comes through and the smoke is there just to compliment the natural flavor of the meat. Now, when I go to buddies backyard BBQs, I'm reminded how much I like my smoked meats that just have a slight smoke profile to the flavor. IMHO it's a much better way to experience smoked meats.

I get al the smoke I want from my pellet smoker, even running at 300+ On most cooks. There are times for whatever reason that at higher temps I don’t get enough, but a smoke tube works like a charm, so for that very minor inconvenience, the pros IMO far outweigh that one small con, since it’s easily solved. I have a Rec Tec btw.

Awesome. Post pics when you get it. You only live once. Get er done

Agreed with the other posts. If you use a pellet smoker like you would your previous smokers and follow basic smoker procedures, you will probably find it a little lacking on smoke flavor.

If you tweak your cook to be specific to a pellet cooker and are willing to experiment, you can get plenty of good smoke flavor.

Will it ever be as good as a stick burner? In my opinion no. But I still use my pellet smoker way more than my offset stick burner. It's easier, and something I want to do weekly, instead of every now and then because I don't have the time to do over night baby sitting of a fire. The smoke flavor is 95% the way there, and that's enough for me. And that's 95% of the way there on a perfect stick burner cook. Any smoker cook will have an off day with a bad fire or temp swings.

I think the masterbuilt gravity smokers might be a great alternative to a pellet grill if you are really worried about smoke flavor.

I would give those a real hard look if I were in the market for a hands off smoker.

Pellet smokers remind me of a good projector/TV professional calibration. You hear it's the best and once you go for it your initial reaction is that the picture is too dim. You were used to the overblown flame torch settings that most displays came with from the factory (the brighter and more vivid on the store shelf next to the competition the more displays sold) and to your eyes it just seemed... dark. But then, after a few uses, you realized that this was indeed the proper setting and your experience got SO much better for all conditions for a much more enjoyable experience overall.

Pellet smokers were the same way for me. At first, I was like... where's the smoke? I was used to smoke soaked meats and just thought that's the way smoked meat should taste. After a few smokes though I realized that THIS is how meat is supposed to taste. The flavor of the meat comes through and the smoke is there just to compliment the natural flavor of the meat. Now, when I go to buddies backyard BBQs, I'm reminded how much I like my smoked meats that just have a slight smoke profile to the flavor. IMHO it's a much better way to experience smoked meats.

Well said!

Reactions: ostrichsak
Even though I don’t own a pellet smoker, the reviews on the Rec Tec are very good!
I’m kind of an old fashioned guy who likes to tend to a fire & drink a few beers. Even in the heat of summer!
Al

So I have had a Masterbuilt vertical propane smoker for about 5-6 years and have done quite well with it.

But I’m looking for something new!

And like many others on here, I’m strongly considering going to a pellet smoker. My lazy side likes the idea of setting the temp and not having to worry about it. My Masterbuilt definitely requires a good bit of attention to maintain temps.

After hours of reading, I seem to be most interested in the RecTec RT700.

But I am growing a bit concerned that pellet smokers may not offer the smoky taste that I love. It seems if you start off a bit lower (180-200) then maybe you can still get good smoke? It also seems like you need to choose good pellets...something I would’ve never thought of! I would’ve bought the cheapest pellets figuring they were all the same little pieces of wood!

Appreciate any thoughts, advice, or warnings!
Sounds like you prefer smoke from a fire. Maybe an offset suits you more.

Run low as you can go to get good dense smoke. By 250F pellet smoke is thin. Brand of pellet doesn't matter so much. Just get something with hickory or oak. Pellet smoke is mild and you'll want a stronger wood. Fruit wood pellets are extremely mild.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky