Considering a new smoker...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

melrod59

Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello everyone,

I currently own a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro, but I'm thinking of adding to my smoking arsenal by buying a BDS smoker. Does anyone have one? Are they as good as they seem? I would like to increase my output. Ideas??

Thanks,

Mel

Hi Mel -

Royknives has a Big Drum Smoker and I think there's another one here to with recent posts. Maybe they can give you some ideas.

Debi

Mel,
I started with a WSM and really liked a vertical smoker...but like you I wanted to increase my output,...the answer for me was a BDS Jumbo.....it can smoke up to 12 pork butts in one smoke.....I really like it..

Hey Roy (RoyKnives),

Does your BDS (Big Drum Smoker) Jumbo really cook for 12+ hours on 12 lbs of charcoal/wood? If so, that's about enough of a selling point right there. I can get about 6-6 1/2 hours in my Char-Griller. Have you done ribs on it yet? How many slabs can you get on it?

Mel

Yes, the smoker will last 12 hours on a cook...but you will be able to cook, let's say pork butts in 8 hours...instead of 12, because of the radiant heat. When your done, put on a couple of Beer can chickens to use up the leftover coals..... :D
I haven't done ribs yet but I know the jumbo can do at least 16 slabs...it really depends on your stand..this is the one that Rocky (owner of BDS) uses.. he gets 8 slabs per grate. Hope this helps.
Since posting this message I spoke with Rocky..he told me for FULL loads of butts and briskets in the BDS Jumbo, he would use 15 pounds of briquettes. For everything else, 10 to 12 pounds is plenty.

Hey Roy, Nice ribs you got in that rack on your new toy!!

And here I'm thinking of upgrading from the ECB to the char griller pro.

This is one of those the grass is always greener hobbies isn't it? LOL

Debi

Hey Roy,

Where did you get the rib rack shown in the picture? And how much was it? It looks like it holds 8 slabs. I'd be very interested in getting two of those.

Thanks,

Mel

Hey Roy,

Where did you get the rib rack shown in the picture? And how much was it? It looks like it holds 8 slabs. I'd be very interested in getting two of those.

Thanks,

Mel

Mel,
Here is a link to where this one came from..they have different sizes..hope this helps... :D
Slab Racks Here

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky