Considering a Broil King Regal 500 Pellet Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Average Human

Original poster
May 11, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hi All,

I've been smoking on a Masterbuilt Vertical dual fuel smoker for about 3 years and I'm ready to switch things up.

I like the Masterbuilt for its efficiency and its smaller footprint (and its small initial investment).

What seems to be driving me crazy about it is the nearly constant grief in maintaining a somewhat stable temperature. I also can't fit a whole brisket or a whole rack of ribs in it without having to butcher them first (although I have yet to actually smoke a brisket :emoji_laughing:).

Offset wood burning smokers are obviously the best choice for flavour and results but pellet grills seem to offer the convenience and stability I seek. So far, I have short-listed the Broil King Regal 500. I have also considered the Green Mountain Grill Dan Boone.

Wondering if anyone can speak on these models or even point out the difference in the end results from a quality pellet smoker/grill versus an offset wood burner (stick burner)? Is the convenience worth the apparent trade-off in quality?

Thanks for looking! Hope everyone is doing well.

Have you considered a Rec Teq? Been on my RT-700 2.5 years and LOVE IT! I can put two briskets, 3-4 rack so f ribs on and letter roll. Very stable temps. No Regrets. the larger size it great for all uses big and small.

like you said, it’s a tradeoff so it really depends on what you want. IMO pellet smokers put out good Q and are damn near maintenance free cooking. A stick burner puts out great Q but you’re gonna need to be tending it. I currently have a Rec Tec and love it cause I have 3 young kids and need a set it and forget it option. The food does not have the smoke profile I’d like - doesn’t matter how many tubes you put in it. However, I smoke 10x more than I would with a stick burner bc of that convenience and the food is pretty good. Soon I’m gonna buy a stick burner too since the kids are getting older and more independent, and I look forward to tending the fire all day with a few (10) drinks. Right now that’s not in the cards. So long story short - both have their pros and cons do specific to what’s most important. For me at the moment it’s ease, but I’m also not putting out world class Q with the pellet grill - but damn good backyard BBQ if I say so myself. I second the rec tec recommendation of you decide pellet - can’t beat if for the money.

Don't know much about the dual fuel units but is there a type of Auber PID or guru that can be used with your unit to help maintain temps ?

Personally I have MES 40 with PID and RT 590. They both excel at different things.

Last edited:
Thank you for the RecTeq recommendations. Great looking units, but unfortunately, they aren't shipping to Canada at the moment. :emoji_frowning2:

www.recteq.com/canada

That said. I think I'm set on the BK Regal 500 Pellet Grill. I have a seller lined up and I'll be closing the deal later this week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky