Compost/Manure tea Vs chemical fertilizer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking shawn86

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
southern Ca,
This is my second year of gardening.The first year went really bad we didn't even get to harvest any of the vegetables that we planted.this year I did a lot of recherche on the Internet through this wed site and through You Tube. I come to realize what we did wrong, we didn't amend the soil.Our soil had to much clay and not enough organic mater

This year is going great I have been able to harvest so much.I'm able to pull of five zucchini ever three days not mention the rest of my garden is doing very well. this year I am doing some thing very different than last year, it's called compost tea.I did a lot of research and found that people that use it in their garden have had success, but that's all I found.I decided to do a little experiment of my own comparing compost teas to a chemical fertilizer and here are my results so far.

This was the first week of using compost tea

519177b7_DSC06510.jpg

2end week of using compost tea

67d2eb31_DSC06506.jpg

This is the first week of using chemical fertilizer

0c2782bf_DSC06509.jpg

2end week of using chemical fertilizers

ac12e2f3_DSC06508.jpg

shawn, evening....  what kind of fertilizer and how much did you use ????  I would say from the looks of the pictures, your soil is lacking in lots of nutrients....  A complete fertilizer should not have had that effect...  either way, pile the compost, from the tea you made, around the plant to take advantages of the remaining nutrients....  and keep using your compost tea..... the plants looked pretty darn good to me...  Dave

I do my own soil testing at home the only thing it is lacking is nitrogen, although the county extension office would give me better results

u need to work leaf and decaying grass into your soil!

u will get nitrogen from that!  till u build it up use the compost tea!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky