commodity Beef and/or Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RickNessly

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2017
Minnesota
I was looking at the Costco business site (I have one near my house) and they rate meat prime, choice, etc., but then they also have "commodity beef"...does anyone know the quality of this meat?

Here's a quote, whether it's true or not...
"Commodity beef comes from factory farmed and raised steer that are grown as quickly as possible and as cheaply as possible. That means that the steer are administered antibiotics and growth hormones."

Reactions: DanMcG
I have had had good results with their prime briskets. For a treat I will go the Wagyu or grass fed route but it is 3 times the price.

I have had had good results with their prime briskets. For a treat I will go the Wagyu or grass fed route but it is 3 times the price.
I have a Sam's membership and buy their prime brisket, I'm sure it's the same beef supplied by similar farms, and I've been happy with the results, as well. As a matter of fact, I've got one that's been wet aging for 5 weeks and will go on my smoker this weekend. The Sam's where I shop does not have any Wagyu options except for burger....

Costco Prime is pretty good. the last couple briskets I made were Kroger on sale for $1.99/lb. to be honest - I didn't notice much difference - except the price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky