Commercial Fridge guidance?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg downard

Original poster
Apr 30, 2017
Just picked up a commercial refrigerator. Stainless inside and out. Heavy racks all adjustable. Compressor unit was in bottom.
Now I am concerned. Wanted to convert to stick burner with external firebox. Estimated temps normally around 250 degrees but could reach 300 to 400 degrees(Not intentionally).

The killer is, foam insulated. Needs some guidance guys. Do I dare use this with the foam insulation? I'm thinking it will burn out quickly.
What temps would be safe to smoke at in one of these?

Give me your thoughts, experiences, Or should I just scrap it and find something else.

the foam will kill the deal, it wont take the heat and might give off some ugly gas , I would research the foam used and see what the temp range might be, I wouldn't build the fire in the unit its self because the temps will be way higher than what you want to cook at

Just picked up a commercial refrigerator. Stainless inside and out. Heavy racks all adjustable. Compressor unit was in bottom.
Now I am concerned. Wanted to convert to stick burner with external firebox. Estimated temps normally around 250 degrees but could reach 300 to 400 degrees(Not intentionally).

The killer is, foam insulated. Needs some guidance guys. Do I dare use this with the foam insulation? I'm thinking it will burn out quickly.
What temps would be safe to smoke at in one of these?

Give me your thoughts, experiences, Or should I just scrap it and find something else.
If it’s mine......I’m not smoking food in it til the insulation is removed and replaced with rock wool insulation.

Thats what I did to my old fridge smoker. Mine is also a straight stick burner with separate fire box.

This way of smoking is more labor intensive but the end result is 10x better than using an electric or propane smoker. Look up my 1950’s Crosley Fridge build. It’s not as pretty as some but I’ll put my bbq up against anyone’s.

I just got a two door stainless commercial fridge project given to me. The guy was going to just leave the foam insulation. I’ll be tearing it all out and putting all rock wool Insulation back in, just like my Crosley Fridge Smoker.
DFB1BBE2-48A8-4F56-9BE7-64D1B9D5E9D4.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky