1940 GE Fridge Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Hangtownsmoker I've recently inquired a 1945 ge fridge identical to the one u turned into a smoke the only difference is the inside panel of door in mine is flat and it's missing the bottom grill cover was wondering if u could give me some more information on ur intake vents u made I like the looks of them

Hi Hangtownsmoker I've recently inquired a 1945 ge fridge identical to the one u turned into a smoke the only difference is the inside panel of door in mine is flat and it's missing the bottom grill cover was wondering if u could give me some more information on ur intake vents u made I like the looks of them

Twisted,

The intakes are 4” automotive exhaust tubing cut slightly longer than the wall depth. A flange was welded flush on one end and drilled for rivets. Inserted from the inside with a bead of food grade silicone and riveted to hold in place and create a tight seal. Another flange was slipped over the pipe on the outside, tacked, cut off excess pipe, finished weld, and then ground everything smooth and flush. This was done for both intake vents and the chimney exhaust penetrations. This added strength to the overall structure, but it is also somewhat permanent, as disassembling the thing would now be a PITA.

The intake vents are made of “pucks” to fit the ID of the 4” exhaust and have a welded plate that matches the pinwheel-style covers. These were commercial Lavalock covers (not sure why I didn’t just make them). The covers are held in place with a simple spring nut. The pucks have a set screw if I want to remove them. The chimney is 4” HVAC tubing crimped to fit the ID of the exhaust tubing. It has a cheap sheet metal damper from HD in it. You should be able to see most of these details in the various photos.

Hope that helps.

-HS

Yes that is better detail of the vents I was hoping u would remember and share lol do u recall what flanges used by chance and thank u very much for sharing ur smoker build post it's helped me alot with mine and I take it up have left the bottom of it's empty as well

questions about the racks.... how do they slide out? Do you have any "stops" built in so you don't accidentally pull them all the way out?

I'm not sure what it if he has did with his shelves but I plan on making mine with little pins or tabs right in the front of them to lock them into the shelf brackets so I have to lift the front edge up to be able to take the shelf out

This thing is great. The tear down photos really show the effort put in.
I am now wondering myself about gutting out the insulation in my build before buttoning it shut. it gets cold in South Dakota and I would still like to be able to use this.

Thanks... for the added cost of about $40 it is worth adding the insulation. I'll easily be able to smoke throughout the long cold upstate NY winters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190604-131850_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190604-131850_Samsung Internet.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: PrairieGeek
I wish I've here in Canada roxul insulation is 59.99 for safe and sound even regular insulation is around the same price lol

If anyone is interested when I make my intakes I've come up with a idea to make them removable but need to see for sure if it will work it should though I'll try to remember to put some pics on here of how I did them

Reactions: lfaulkner29
Here is the fridge I’m about to start. Looks almost identical to yours. Already planned on the same element but wasn’t sure on the insulation till looking at your build. Is the insulation heat rated or just the regular Roxel? Did you fabricate the vents or buy them? Thanks in advance & nice build!!

Here is the fridge I’m about to start. Looks almost identical to yours. Already planned on the same element but wasn’t sure on the insulation till looking at your build. Is the insulation heat rated or just the regular Roxel? Did you fabricate the vents or buy them? Thanks in advance & nice build!!
I bought all the vents. They were galvanized so I soaked them in vinegar overnight to strip them. The insulation I bought is heat rated.

Good Evening. Sorry for the delayed response, this thread has been pretty dead for awhile.

So yes, the insulation is fire rated to something around 2k degrees. Definitely a good idea to replace yours, especially if it is cardboard like mine was. There is at least one story on SMF where people had fires flare up long after the smoke when using the original insulation. As I mentioned in the OP, the vent covers are lavalock, the penetration is lined with 4” auto exhaust tubing. The “puck” was made in a jig to fit the ID of the tubing. Hopefully that answers your questions.

Looking back at this thread I realize I missed a couple other responses. No pins or stops on the shelves. Just slide out, have to be careful when loaded.

Last, it sounded as if you were loading a photo of your fridge. If so, it didn’t come through.

Good luck and let us know how the build goes.

-HS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky