Cold smoking wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leonard114

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Harpers ferry wv
So me and my buddy were thinking about cold smoking then frying wings this weekend while we are camping. My question is this safe and how long is it safe for? Would probably be going from smoker straight to the fryer. Any help is appreciated!

I wouldn’t go more than 3 hours of cold smoke, but then they would need to go right into the fryer. I have hot smoked wings before, then put them in a fryer & the fry part takes some of the smoke flavor away. So maybe by cold smoking them, you will retain more smokiness. Let us know how they turn out.
Al

I agree with SmokinAl SmokinAl . I wouldnt go past the three hour mark if your above 40°f. Ive done a lot of meats cold smoked below 40° over night and had great results. I will say watch what you season with because the fryer will burn some of them. I usually keep it simple salt and pepper. Whats nice is the cold smoke alows the skin to dry before frying and makes for extra crispy skin.

Have you considered Curing the Wings first?
This would be a Great place for Pops' Method of curing!
Then Smoke & then Fry??
Probably too late for this weekend, but maybe next time?

Bear

Reactions: 73saint and zwiller
If you didn't want to mess with oil. Hot smoke then put in fridge. Reheat on campfire or grill. Tasty

When I do wings I smoke them for about an hour then crank up the pitboss to 350 and just finish there.

When I do wings I smoke them for about an hour then crank up the pitboss to 350 and just finish there.
this except since it usually me and wife i pile the coals and screaming hot table top grill and sear/grill for few minutes. then toss with sauce. crispy skin, smoke flavor

Reactions: zwiller
All pointing in right direction: Pop's low salt cure, smoke to 190F a few days in advance, then dry rub, sear, and serve.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Have you considered Curing the Wings first?
This would be a Great place for Pops' Method of curing!
, I have been wanting to cure some wings and smoke them. I bet that'd be good.
Yup . Do it all the time , and yes they are really good .
I use Pop's brine with 1/2 cup salt , 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar .
In 1 gallon of water with 1 TBLS of cure 1 .
I inject and soak over night . Smoke whole . Have not fried after the smoke yet .

20180704_170814.jpg

73saint 73saint It is crazy good. (Rich beat me) I do drums since they are way cheaper here. Half batch of Pop's is perfect for 5lb pack of drums.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky