Cold Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

babydoc

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2022
Northern Utah in the Mountains
So...I bought a once used burbon barrel (53 gallon I think) and a big smoke daddy cold smoker with the intent of turning it into a cold smoker chamber. Thoughts? I know most guys do this during the winter months and its kinda getting late in the season for that, but thought I'd try it out and then tuck it away for cheeses and what not next year.

All this after I had some smoked cheddar for Christmas and thought it would be easy to do myself. (Man plans and God laughs right?)

Pics to come!! Good idea or no?

Reactions: JLeonard
Trash can smoker. Barrek should work fine.
20230219_140724.jpg
20230219_140645.jpg
20230219_140243.jpg

A whisky barrel should work great, with a few easy modifications. And later on, if you decide to throw in the towel, re-purpose the barrel in to flavor wood splits. A friend from Washington state buys wine barrels and sends boxes of splits out around Christmas. The base wood is oak, and the wine adds some aroma.
YxPBb.jpg

Cold smoking things like butter, cheese, Nova lox, etc., can be handled using a HUGE variety of smoke chambers. You basically need draw and draft to match your smoke generator. In other words, the smoke needs to be un-restricted. First, the smoke generator should not produce a lot of heat, and second... the smoke should be light enough as to not impart a bitter, or too smokey of a flavor.

I've seen people rig up cardboard boxes, plywood boxes, and I use a mini-WSM or my drum smokers for cold smoking. Even the early instructions for the 'Chief' line of box smokers suggested using the box the smoker came in to make a cold smoker chimney.

3RMo3Tw.jpg

Here is another contraption that works great.
TxoQkdU.jpg

This article might give you some insights or one or to ideas for cheese.

A whisky barrel should work great, with a few easy modifications. And later on, if you decide to throw in the towel, re-purpose the barrel in to flavor wood splits. A friend from Washington state buys wine barrels and sends boxes of splits out around Christmas. The base wood is oak, and the wine adds some aroma.
View attachment 658661

Cold smoking things like butter, cheese, Nova lox, etc., can be handled using a HUGE variety of smoke chambers. You basically need draw and draft to match your smoke generator. In other words, the smoke needs to be un-restricted. First, the smoke generator should not produce a lot of heat, and second... the smoke should be light enough as to not impart a bitter, or too smokey of a flavor.

I've seen people rig up cardboard boxes, plywood boxes, and I use a mini-WSM or my drum smokers for cold smoking. Even the early instructions for the 'Chief' line of box smokers suggested using the box the smoker came in to make a cold smoker chimney.

View attachment 658662

Here is another contraption that works great.
View attachment 658663

This article might give you some insights or one or to ideas for cheese.
Thanks! That looks awesome!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky