Cold Smoker Size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texan4ut

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2019
I am wanting to build a simple cold smoker. I was thinking 2' deep, 4' wide, 6' tall. I won't be doing huge batches of anything, just a few slabs of bacon, rope sausage, cheese etc. Thought I would get some input before I head out to get my materials. Thanks in advance.

A cardboard box from an appliance works good.... then use the AMNPS for smoke... a few rebar lengths and baking cooling racks and you are golden....
Don't forget to cut air inlets and exhaust holes....

Just as with a smoker most of the time bigger is better maybe 4x4x6 but considering size of plywood or siding why not 4x4x8

My cold smoker is 3 x3 x3 brick base with concrete foundation (small door in front) and 3 x 3 x 4 wood frame on top of the base ( with 2 x 3 loading door) + cheap plywood walls, interior lined with triple aluminum foil layer + shingled roof with exhaust chimney...with smoke generator temp never goes above 50 to 60 F...

Decided 2x4 makes it easy using 4x8 plywood. Progress so far
DSCN3229.JPG
DSCN3230.JPG
DSCN3232.JPG

You might add a hole in the top of the MB door to stop smoke from recirculating inside the MB.... recirculating smoke is low in oxygen...

Mailbox mod 2.jpg

Bacon looks really good.... I'd eat it...
I ate some this morning it was really good. This was the cajun version so a little more salty than I am used to but not bad. The other two slabs pepperered, sweet and smokey will get sliced lather and checked out.

How long have those slabs been smoking?
That was right at about 18-19 hours. used apple pellets, however they weren't the 100% apple ones. These are mixed with hardwood. Didn't get much apple flavor. The smoke though was just about right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky