Co-Worker wants me to smoke ribs - How much should I charge?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glocksrock

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I smoked 6 racks of baby backs for a work event, and now a co-worker wants me to do the same for her upcoming anniversary. She would supply the meat, but wants to know what I would charge to do this for her. I've never really done this as a service for anyone before, and have no idea what a fair price would be. I would be supplying everything but the ribs, so the wood/charcoal for my Lang, the rub, bbq sauce, pans etc...

I asked my wife and she said $75, does this sound about right?

Well, you could say you've been offered $75 to do a cook before. That is actually $12.50 per rack.
What would your nearest BBQ joint charge for a full rack of ribs?

I have no idea what a local bbq place would charge, I guess I should check that out. But I'm also not having to supply the meat, so that has to be factored into the charge.

Reactions: SonnyE
Here is what I got locally.
But remember, you are doing a custom made to order rib cook.

Rattlers BBQ by the piece...

Baby Back Ribs

• Half Slab
  • Full Slab
  • $14.49
  • $20.99

Generally speaking the food cost would be 1/3 of the total price & your materials & your labor would account for the other 2/3. But that would include plates utensils, BBQ sauce, charcoal, wood, etc. And of course any sides would be extra.
So if the food cost $60, you would want to get $120 to cook it.

I would think $75 would be a fair price. That's $12.50 per rack for the fuel, rubs, pans, your time, etc...

But like you said your co-worker is paying for the meat. Lets just say she gets 6 racks at 4 pounds and $2.99 lb that's $12 rack. So she's into the meat for $72 plus your fee of $75 so roughly she's paying $150 for 6 racks of ribs.

Its a little more than the local BBQ joint but probably better quality and if she likes your food then why not?

If she sez No, you could negotiate.
But don't undersell yourself, nor your talent.
And remember, once you begin down this path, others may come asking.
If you become a slave to a mediocre price, the fun fades quickly. ;)

For the labor, I'd figure out my hourly rate from my FT job (annual salary / 2080). Multiple by number of hours needed to prep and smoke. Add in the additional cost of supplies, plus 2-3 percent as a mark up. Mileage and gas to the store, etc.
It probably be low but would be fair.

Shish, I must be rather dumb. I usually do something like that for free, but maybe it is because i am not in the business. Don't know if she is a friend or not were she fits in to the outfit you work for etc. You might ask her what she thinks would be fair and if it covers the cost of your supplies (including refreshments if not supplied ;)).
Hey all I am saying is that you do what you feel is right for you.

If your smoking it on that offset in your avatar & your not getting the wood for free.
Your probably looking at $10-$12 for fuel, your cost for rub & sauce, and about 6-7 hours of your time. If you feel that your talent is only worth $8-10 an hour, then $70-75 would be fair. But be aware if she likes the ribs she may want you to do this again, and it will be hard to raise the price the next time. Explain to her how you came up with the amount you choose to do it for. I have smoked food for friends & they all want you to do it for nothing. I stopped doing it, cause to me smoking is a great way to relax & if it turns into a job, you loose all the fun from it. Especially if you think they are taking advantage of your kindness. But that's just been my experience. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Al

If she sez No, you could negotiate.
But don't undersell yourself, nor your talent.
And remember, once you begin down this path, others may come asking.
If you become a slave to a mediocre price, the fun fades quickly. ;)

Why don't you figure what it cost you the first time you did the six slabs for that work event. Check with a local BBQ Joint and see what their cost would be for the same amount of ribs. If the cost is comparable then charge that amount, if not adjust your cost accordingly Doesn't matter if she is supplying the meat. If she thinks the amount is too much then claim ignorance on your part and let her buy them from the local BBQ Joint.

Your time is valuable and besides if something goes wrong (no telling what) you would be responsible for replacing all those ribs.

Frankly, if it were me, I would politely tell her sorry but I just don't have the time right now.

Unless of course you really, really, really want to do this.

Last edited:
Asking them what they would charge you for a 1/2 day of cleaning your house would put things into perspective rather quickly. Like others have said it's a slippery slope once you start cooking for others and like Al stated it goes from fun to work real quick as they go from friends to customers with high expectations at the same rate.

Barry.

Shish, I must be rather dumb. I usually do something like that for free, but maybe it is because i am not in the business. Don't know if she is a friend or not were she fits in to the outfit you work for etc. You might ask her what she thinks would be fair and if it covers the cost of your supplies (including refreshments if not supplied ;)).
Hey all I am saying is that you do what you feel is right for you.

I do the same thing Kit.
The Grand Daughter even Special Requested Grandpa's Ribs for her 4th Birthday Party. 6 racks. Covered my grill...
Her Mama bought the ribs, but Grandpa had to deal with the + 100 degree day and a hot BBQ.

After the accident, and the burned ribs, the requests seem to have stopped for now... :oops:

Darn if you do and darn if you don't. If you are going to do it as a friend that's one thing if it's just a coworker asking for a favor then it's another. Either way you will have to decide is it for free or a reasonable fee or doing it to make some $$ and maybe they won't ask again at that price or may even decline. Hope I'm not to confusing and hope it works out for you. GOOD LUCK

Warren

If your smoking it on that offset in your avatar & your not getting the wood for free.
Your probably looking at $10-$12 for fuel, your cost for rub & sauce, and about 6-7 hours of your time. If you feel that your talent is only worth $8-10 an hour, then $70-75 would be fair. But be aware if she likes the ribs she may want you to do this again, and it will be hard to raise the price the next time. Explain to her how you came up with the amount you choose to do it for. I have smoked food for friends & they all want you to do it for nothing. I stopped doing it, cause to me smoking is a great way to relax & if it turns into a job, you loose all the fun from it. Especially if you think they are taking advantage of your kindness. But that's just been my experience. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Al
Yes, I'd be smoking them on my Lang 48 Patio, the one in my avatar, and no I don't get my wood for free, sure wish I did. She won't be needing them till August, so no doubt it will be hot out when I have to cook them. Thanks for the advise, I'll take everything into consideration. I definitely don't want this to turn into a big thing, nor do I want to start having others ask me to do this, as it is a hobby for me and I don't want to take the fun out of it.

I would do it for 2 slabs of ribs and have a free dinner... You have to cook your dinner anyway...

I agree with Dave, Just ask her to throw a couple more racks in the equation. If your charging then you have the added worry about something going wrong. Example: What if they don't meet expectations? or if someone gets sick.

Chris.

Don't know about where you are located, but here you would be considered a "caterer" when money exchanged hands since you are the one doing the cooking/prep on the meats. You would be subject to inspections, regulations, and would need to prove you used commercial standards and facilities. You would also need to show that you are certified with food service.

This is why I do not cook for money here. Not worth the hassle for a one time or occasional deal....

if the customer supplies the meat i charge $15.00 per rack of ribs covers the cost of my supplies to smoke the meat. if i do a brisket and again the customer supplies the meat i charge $60.00 , there again covers my supplies and the time to do the brisket.

don't under charge other wise you lose the cost to recover your supplies and once word gets out EVERYONE will want you to smoke for them.

For sure the health depts. are getting harder and harder to deal with. We do a lot of events for non-profits and its unreal the requirement now to suit the health dept. But then again seems like forever now you are reading where people got sick at some event and this just makes it harder for all.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky