Cleaning Probes and Wires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rabbithutch, May 21, 2015.

1. rabbithutch

rabbithutch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes, I used the search function and found lots of posts about cleaning probes. From what I read, it is allowing water to get into the hollow portion of the probes that ruins them; but I didn't see any comments about the wires. Are they, too, susceptible to problems if water gets into them? I've been cleaning the cables with Dawn in a paper towel and scrubbing them down then wiping with a wet paper towel to get the soap off. I clean the probes with Dawn being careful at the wire/probe joint. I think I will start wiping them down with 70% isopropyl alcohol, too.

Any comments on my methods? Anything else I should know?

TIA

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I clean mine by scrubbing the cable & probe with a hot coarse sponge, staying away from the joint between the cable & the probe.

Then just before inserting it into the meat, I clean the meat probe one more time with a little alcohol wipe. Doesn't take long & they're cheap if you get a box of 250.

Bear

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. rabbithutch

Thanks, Bear!

4. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I agree , just clean and wipe before injecting.

How you there in Temple [​IMG]

5. rabbithutch

Temple is Temple, Stan!

Of course, you know that much better than I do.

We are staying cool and getting good rain. The lakes aren't full yet but even the farmers are griping about too much rain. For me, the longer it stays below 90° the better I like it.

Had some excitement in Waco last Sunday, but I expect you heard about that.

How are things in Ohio?