Cleaning Probes and Wires

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Yes, I used the search function and found lots of posts about cleaning probes. From what I read, it is allowing water to get into the hollow portion of the probes that ruins them; but I didn't see any comments about the wires. Are they, too, susceptible to problems if water gets into them? I've been cleaning the cables with Dawn in a paper towel and scrubbing them down then wiping with a wet paper towel to get the soap off. I clean the probes with Dawn being careful at the wire/probe joint. I think I will start wiping them down with 70% isopropyl alcohol, too.

Any comments on my methods? Anything else I should know?

TIA

Yes, I used the search function and found lots of posts about cleaning probes. From what I read, it is allowing water to get into the hollow portion of the probes that ruins them; but I didn't see any comments about the wires. Are they, too, susceptible to problems if water gets into them? I've been cleaning the cables with Dawn in a paper towel and scrubbing them down then wiping with a wet paper towel to get the soap off. I clean the probes with Dawn being careful at the wire/probe joint. I think I will start wiping them down with 70% isopropyl alcohol, too.

Any comments on my methods? Anything else I should know?

TIA
I clean mine by scrubbing the cable & probe with a hot coarse sponge, staying away from the joint between the cable & the probe.

Then just before inserting it into the meat, I clean the meat probe one more time with a little alcohol wipe. Doesn't take long & they're cheap if you get a box of 250.

Bear

Last edited:
I agree , just clean and wipe before injecting.

How you there in Temple
icon_question.gif

Temple is Temple, Stan!

Of course, you know that much better than I do.

We are staying cool and getting good rain. The lakes aren't full yet but even the farmers are griping about too much rain. For me, the longer it stays below 90° the better I like it.

Had some excitement in Waco last Sunday, but I expect you heard about that.

How are things in Ohio?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky