Cleaning outside of offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I'm just wondering what do you guys use to clean the outside of your offset smokers? My 24x48 sits outside in the back yard, and unfortunately it is exposed to the elements year round since my yard is too small for a patio cover or awning, so it gets rained on etc. I do hose it off now and again but I find that once it dries it still has dirty water spots all over it etc. which drives me nuts.

I was thinking about using something like Dawn soap to give it a thorough cleaning now that the rainy season is pretty much done, but not sure if that is recommended or not.

So... I'm just wondering what those of you with offsets in your back yard do to clean the outside of yours.

I'm just wondering what do you guys use to clean the outside of your offset smokers? My 24x48 sits outside in the back yard, and unfortunately it is exposed to the elements year round since my yard is too small for a patio cover or awning, so it gets rained on etc. I do hose it off now and again but I find that once it dries it still has dirty water spots all over it etc. which drives me nuts.

I was thinking about using something like Dawn soap to give it a thorough cleaning now that the rainy season is pretty much done, but not sure if that is recommended or not.

So... I'm just wondering what those of you with offsets in your back yard do to clean the outside of yours.
Dawn soap would be just fine. Wash and rinse. I recommend buying a cheap tarp from Harbor Freight or wherever to cover when not in use.

Reactions: Colin1230 and PPG1
The problem with covers is that while they do keep rain off the cooker, they trap moisture underneath and promote rust unless they are removed and turned upside down to dry out along with whatever is being covered.
I use Pam and spray the entire cooker, then wipe off with a rag or paper towels then set a hot fire to heat up the metal to disperse moisture and set the Pam.
Once you do it a few times a hardened coating develops on the metal.

Reactions: forktender and Torc
I would thing something like Mean or Simple Green would work as well.

/Quote "The problem with covers is that while they do keep rain off the cooker, they trap moisture underneath..."

Good infor there. Planning to move my kamado to the garage to keep the dampness down. I also keep the grate in the house to help with this. Had to reseason it when the damp did a number on it.

I do cover mine, but i keep it wiped down with peanut oil when it heats up, shines like new. Had it since 2006

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky