Cleaning A GOSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tonto1117

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2007
ADA, MI
Hi all, with the weather warming up a bit planning on getting the power washer out and giving the smoker a good cleaning....couple questions if I may:

1) I have that black bubbley stuff that peels inside the smoker....should I try to peel it all off? And what to use?

2) After I power wash it and let it dry really well, will I need to re-season it??

3) Anything else I should be aware of before I do this?

You sound like the kind of person who post this type of question so that you can have your husband clean the darn thing......

LOL!!

I would scrape with a plastic scraper so you don't scratch the finish off. Otherwise it sounds good.

Not much to re-season unless you get down to the original finish.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

lol....I thought you were downstairs whatching the game...you know this doesn't speak well of us that we need to communicate through a forum.
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

Hey, isn't it 5:00 oclock somewhere?????
icon_mrgreen.gif

I would remove the burner and ignitor if your using a pressure washer or a hose. Heres another tip, I have a weed burner I use to fire up my BGE and Drum smokers and I removed the grate holders and hit the inside of the GOSM with the torch and the bubbly crud you referred to is easily scraped off with a putty knife. Be careful on the door and near the thermometer!

Thresea, I use a product called "Greased Lightining" (silver bottle with a yellow lightining bolt on it). Scrape out your grease pan, spray the inside of the GOSM and the grease pan and then hit the thing with the power washer. Fire up the GOSM to dry that baby out and a quick spray with a vegetable oil out of a spray bottle and relight the burner, turn the gas control to high and close the door. An hour later, shut the gas off but leave the GOSM closed up 'til it cools off.

Thanks all, Ducth, I will look for it, great idea, kind of like Easy-Off for your smoker. Thanks!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!
icon_lol.gif

Dutch, that sounds like a lotta work. Regarding the power wash, do you have to remove or protect the burner unit? Do you have problems re-lighting it?

bud

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky