Cleanin thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skin-man

Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Just got done with my 2nd smoke with the wsm and took a peek at the inside lid at the thermometer probe,

is it necessary to clean or wipe that off after a few smokes? thanks.

I've never really given any thought to giving the temp probes a wipe down after doing a smoke. I run a Lang that has two thermo probes on it, a GOSM that has one and an electric UDS with one in the lid and a propane grill. Never cleaned a single one of them. The only probe that gets cleaned is the food probe from my digital thermometers.

I bet most of the folks that answers this will tell you that they don't clean the cook chamber probe either.

YMMV~

Thanks Dutch.. I just wondered if it would help with the reading the correct temp after time or not.. it will be

intresting to see what everyone else has to say.

I just came in from cleaning out the grease and gunk from the inside of my smoker. I always wipe off the stems of my therms. I don't know if makes any difference as far as reading the temps properly or not, but I figure if I'm going to all the trouble to clean the smoker, what's it going to hurt?

Doesn't cost anything to wipe them off.

is it good to have a coating of grease on the inside, kinda like cured or should i be cleaning it after each use..

sorry to sound dumb but i never had a smoker before.

Im like Dutch I clean them once and while,but always clean the food probe.

have a great day smoken

I cleaned the one in my WSM for the first time in about a year the other day.... course then I broke the therm later that day..... lol.

Thanks Dutch.. I just wondered if it would help with the reading the correct temp after time or not.. it will be

intresting to see what everyone else has to say.
I can only speak from my experience on the subject. I have a GOSM big block, with three temp gauges on the door. While cleaning the racks, I decided to clean the therm stems too. I did notice a difference in the readings. So now, whenever I clean the racks I also clean the therm stems. I use an oven type cleaner, then rinse with water. I finally light the GOSM, and make sure that everything is dry before I smoke anything. It's all good my friend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky