Clean and season propane smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matty_ice

Original poster
Dec 1, 2020
Hey folks,
I just finished building a 150 gallon propane trailer smoker. I fired it up once after attaching the firebox and smoke stack but now it's time to season it. I'm wondering what's the best way to clean the interior of the tank. I've seen things on YouTube with hydrogen peroxide and soap to scrub it out then light a fire in the cook chamber. But I feel if I use my angle grinder and get down to bare metal that should work should do the trick. Then oil it up and let it burn for a couple hours. If you have any experience or advice with this let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I'd say any degreaser should be sufficient. I don't know about the peroxide.
I'd be worried about an angle grinder. That's a lot of fine metal particles. The interior shouldn't be coated with anything to get down to bare metal, except maybe rust... I've heard guys soaking their tanks with soapy water for a few weeks prior to cutting into it to try and remove the propane from the metal (it does get absorbed).
However, I'd think a good scrub with soap and water followed by a good long 500 degree burn would be sufficient.

Good luck on your build! Post some pics.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky