Citrus Kumquats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Did I mention I have Orange, fig and Satsuma trees, the neighbor has lemon, kumquat, and pear.

Armed Forces News::  In an daring early morning foray across enemy lines, I stealthfully crawled to his Kumquat tree and inspected the fruit for any signs of citrus borers. Good none whatsoever! I proceeded  pick, of course all the best were near the top. I drew myself up without drawing any attention to myself by him or his HUGE Rottweiler. I picked so fast you saw nothing but a blur where you would have normally seen hands. Then with a fast and heroic flash I dashed back to the safety of my own yard still undetected. Bravo Zulu Foamheart, well done! 

These are the "fruits" of my raid............

Wait! Wrong picture!!

These are what I gathered, dang nab it! Shame too!

Now what to do? With the Kumquats silly! More to follow!

Last edited:
Kevin............................................................. you are sick...............................really sick....................... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hello Kev.  GREAT military maneuver.  DIDN'T even wake the dog.............  Does your "sister" have an E-mail address???? and does she like older men?  This is just information for a paper I am writing to present to the local university you understand.  Purely for research purposes.  
icon_lol.gif

Danny

Just leave my sister alone, she's always been teased by others because she is so skinny and homely......... She even grew her hair out to help cover her bones.........

Lets get back to Kumquats! And we ain't doing any singing about Goldies Plums either!

I am gonna go all  ambidextrous here tonight, so lets start here first. You see that veggie peeler in the lower right? It is a devils tool! My finger I use to cut against seriously looks like hamburger Meat! The point here is to cut away the kumquat zest without any of the white pulpy pith. See those barely nekkid Kumquats in the bowl?

I tried using my zester/grater/rasp, and it was a total pain in the buttocks! And would have taken forever while losing over 1/2 of the essential oils.

Next we take the rinds, place them in an appropriate sized contained, then pour soured tater juice all over them. Close it up and we'll check it again in about16 to 18 weeks.

Notice those pretty apples in the fruit tray? Peeled an apples, guess what I did with those peelings? No I didn't smoke them!

I didn't want any of the other fruits to pick on the lowly jar of kumquat peels and soured tater juice so I built him a little friend to hang around with to mellow. 16 to 19 weeks....... BTW trying this without any simple syrup this time, if it needs it later I assume I can add it then and hope for a shortened smoothing period. But we'll see.

Last edited:
Now Part two!

Kumquats! They are such an underappreciated fruit. They are bitter when first bit into and then the flavors mellow into a sweet and delicious citrus explosion. A real pain to peel! Little joke there.

First you wash the Kumquats, slice 'em in half, get the seeds out and then either chunk 'em  or slice 'em all up.

You measure out 4 cups of the prepared Kumquat, add 1 cups of water.

Make sure you have enough jars prepared and always make at least 4 more than you think you'll need. Sanitize the jars and lids.

Heat the Kumquats w/water long enough for the rinds to become a bit less hard, remembering you'll still have a 10 min. steam in the water bath to finish cooking 'em.

Add the Sure-Gel, and while stirring add 6.5 Cups of sugar, trust me here. Bring to a boil for a couple of mins then place in the jelly jars. Wipe clean and insert into a water bath for approx. 10 mins. before removing to cool. Listen for pop pop pop of lids....... hoping for no old maids.

Just before canning I add my secret ingredients, a little maple extra, a small pinch of cinnamon. Makes this stuff just explode with happy happy flavors in your mouth.

Let it set up and you have Kumquat Marmalade! When you taste it it starts with the slight bitter tatse from the essential oils and then in second turns to a sweet almost honey like taste in your mouth. I believe I probably could or should have added at least another cup of compote to the water/sugar but I never made or ate Marmalade before.  At the very bottom of each jar, like the one on the far left in the picture, you can see the clear "jelly" for maybe an 1" at the bottom of each jar.

So........

5 Cups Kumquats, cleaned, seeded, sliced thinly (adjusted amount compote)

1 Cup Water

1 box Sure Gel

6.5 Cups sugar

2 drops Maple extract

1 grind of good cinnamon

This recipe is definitely a keeper, I can't believe I never had this before, its awesome. Can you imagine a glaze out of this?

Glad ya came by and checked it out because this is one you want to try! 
thumb1%20copy.gif

Thanks David, I have got to say the Marmalade is really amazing. I even impressed my self this time.

BTW I just checked and 9 of 10 set up, I never ask how/why, but it makes it perfect. Now I have to eat the one that didn't make. I am already thinking a glaze for that pretty loin ham I had all tied up a couple a weeks back? Salty ham with sweet honey like Kumquat glaze has got to sell big-time! Maybe next weekend.

Last edited:
Well I can't stand to see 'em go to waste so while watching the ball game today! Actually was going to try and skin 'em and make some Kumquatcello? LOL but my thumb isn't healed from the last time yet.

They'll be ready for pick-up after the game....... Sure smelled good too!

Don't ya love the little baby jar, I found a couple a cases of those in the barn. I can't imagine why any one would do that. That wouldn't last one pan of bisquits, I guess its for the toast crowd.

And you wonder why country folks have root cellars or pantries. LOL

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky