Cinder Block - to fill or hollow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gsuders86

Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
When using cinder block for the firebox and base of a smoke house, is it best to leave the block hollow or fill with sand or some other type of fill?

I would fill them, especially if you live in an area that is prone to rain. I would fill with concrete or mortar. Sand and other fillers can trap moisture and I'd be afraid of cracking when heating and cooling and expansion if there is too much moisture. The thermal mass from filling them will mean that once you are up to temp the unit will hold temps more evenly and longer.

What dirtsailor said also I would also think about lining your firebox with fire brick may save you headaches down the road

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky