Cinder Block Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porkysnightmare

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
20181124_103108.jpg
Anyone running a cinder block pit? Post up what you've done..thinking of building one right before Christmas. Fine china blueprints seen here lol

Reactions: JC in GB
20180818_175857.jpg

20180818_142124.jpg

This unit is the one up at the family retreat. Use it for smoking pigs, mass ants of brisket, etc.

Fits about 30 spatchcocked 4-6 lb chickens.

Take it from me. Make sure your base is level on all sides and in relation to each other. Fill all of your block voids with sand. That's super important, I learned the hard way.

Finally allow several hours for preheating. They turn out AMAZING q but it takes a while to to get to temp.

My CC is 32x64, if you make yours a similar size, I'd allow 12 hours for preheating and see if yours takes that long. Better to use more wood and time than to try and rush it up to temp and destroy the block in your fire chamber area. Ask me how I know that. :mad:

What kind of fuel do you guys use? I'm making one for a BBQ in a couple months. Want to use charcoal. How much fuel would a smoker that big need?

What kind of fuel do you guys use? I'm making one for a BBQ in a couple months. Want to use charcoal. How much fuel would a smoker that big need?

So I made a few modifications to mine and it really changed the efficiency of the pit so I'll post a pic where you can see the changes.

20190804_133723.jpg

Notice how I added an upper airflow inlet on the FB. This really helps to keep heat off of the lid and deliver it into the cc. Secondly, I extended the chimney by two courses to increase draft.

I also did a slop mortar job on the inside of the whole pit, sealing voids, corners, imperfections in the block etc. Finally I filled all of the voids with sand.

These 4 changes allow me to preheat the pit essentially with one whole 15lb back of charcoal and then I can start adding splits to that. Once I'm up to temp I'm now using 2 splits per hour or so to maintain even temps

These 4 changes allow me to preheat the pit essentially with one whole 15lb back of charcoal and then I can start adding splits to that. Once I'm up to temp I'm now using 2 splits per hour or so to maintain even temps

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a split?

A split is a chunk of firewood. Usually 18 " long or so, depending on your fire box, and " split " twice, into a triangular lengthwise wedge. 4 splits from 1 piece if wood.

Reactions: fivetricks
A split is a chunk of firewood. Usually 18 " long or so, depending on your fire box, and " split " twice, into a triangular lengthwise wedge. 4 splits from 1 piece if wood.
Okay. If I'm not using and offset smoker, would I still want to use wood? I'm just thinking about direct heat and flames messing up the meat.

Great question. This particular discussion is about a pit smoker. It is configured with a fire box feeding smoke and controlled heat into a smoking chamber. Smoke is drawn over the meat due to a draft caused by a chimney at the opposite side of the pit from the firebox.
You are exactly right, you would be grilling, not smoking. With your heat source off to the side, or around the edge, you can add wood for smoke and flavor, and cook low and slow.
What kind of smoker are you using, or plan on using ? We can give you some information on adding wood that would be appropriate to you.

So I made a few modifications to mine and it really changed the efficiency of the pit so I'll post a pic where you can see the changes.

View attachment 405949

Notice how I added an upper airflow inlet on the FB. This really helps to keep heat off of the lid and deliver it into the cc. Secondly, I extended the chimney by two courses to increase draft.

I also did a slop mortar job on the inside of the whole pit, sealing voids, corners, imperfections in the block etc. Finally I filled all of the voids with sand.

upper air inlet, Draft, Sealing air leaks, insulation... all add to the efficiency of a smoker...
Great job on "tuning up" your smoker...

Thank ya sir. I feel like I took someone's advice on doing those things :-D

Use to just run the inlet wide open and have tons of energy loss issues. Well you see how I have 2/3 of the upper blocked off and when I was cooking on it I had that slide baffle prob 75-80% closed most of the time on the lower.

Looks great. How much cost your constructoin?

Well, figure 1.00 per block. There's 75-80 blocks, including cap blocks.

5.00 for mortar, sheet of plywood we'll call 25.00, 20ft of 5/8 rebar maybe 15.00, various hardware for the lids 10.00, the expanded steel grate and the 1/4 steep lid were 100.00 total from a friend of a friend.

So 235?

But I got the sand, landscaping chips and the brick that lines the firebox for free.

^^^ this. Last year I had neither inner mortar nor the sand filled blocks.

The pit took over 12 hours to properly warm and required new fresh splits ever 10-15 minutes, 2-3 at a time

This year it heated up in less than 2 hours and took 1-2 splits every hour to maintain a hotter temp than I used last year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky