Cinder Block Pit on Road

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Phil Everett

Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Kent, Ohio
So here is the deal, my hometown is putting on a festival in the coming weeks that my restaurant will be participating in. I decided I want to do a hog roast for the event that is taking place downtown, on the street. I have the materials for building a cinder block pit (I've built in the past). Being that I am building it on the street, I was asked to take precautions as to not damage the road.

I was hoping to get some advice on suggested materials that the pit could be built on so I do as little damage to road as possible.

Idea: Aluminum foil base, pavers (patio stones), then some masonry sand.

Thanks in advance.

See if a local excavator will loan you a road plate. Then set it up on 4 or 6 blocks to allow good airflow under it. Then build your pit on the plate and line with sand to protect the plate. Any way you do it there is going to be a mess to clean up.

Is there a grassy area adjacent to the street where you could setup? Then there is no need to protect the street just a couple of handfuls of grass seed a day or two after the event.

Genius. I'll check around.

Unfortunately the grassy area is a nice park.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky