Cinco de Mayo BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

low'n'slow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Great White North
Has anyone done any Mexican smoking? I notice Cinco de Mayo is coming up in a few days and thought it might be fun to eat Mexican (and drink Coronas and margaritas!) this weekend.

I did this one. Not my recipe. Substituted "roast" , "bake" and "oven" for you-know-what.

Cinco de Mayo
May 5th traditional Mexican hoilday. This "barbacoa bandera" (Flag BBQ) is delicious and colorful. It has the colors of the Mexican Flag.

1 - 3 Lb. Pork Arm or Shoulder Roast
2 Quarts - Cold Water
5 - Chiles Ancho
5 Cloves - Ajo (Garlic), chopped thick
1 Large - Cebolla (Onion), quartered
1 Stick - Canela (Cinnamon)
1 Pod - Tamarindo (Tamarind)
2 Large, Fresh - Laurel (Bay) Leaves
! Tsp - Comino (Cumin) seeds, crushed in a molcajete (a mortar and pestle usually made of volcanic rock)
3 Tbls. - Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Sour Cream
1 - Long, red Chile Arbol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-heat oven to 450° F.

This is a long, slow cooking dish, so start the day before you want to serve it. Hey, at least I'm not asking you to dig a 4' deep pit in the yard, line it with adobe mud, cover it with maguey leaves and cook it underground overnight the way they do barbacoa in Oaxaca!

Score the skin of the Pork Roast with a very sharp knife (I use an X-actoÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] Knife) then set it in the very hot oven for 1/2 hour to crisp the rind. Turn the oven down to 325° F. and roast for one hour more or until a meat thermometer registers at least 170° F.

Have a large pot with a domed lid ready with a layer of chopped Onion on the bottom. Remove roast from oven and place in the pot on top of the onion, then add the Cold Water, Chiles Ancho, Bay Leaves and Garlic. Don't worry about covering the roast. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Let simmer overnight and through most of the next day, turning the meat a few times. In the morning, give the Tamarind Pod a few good smacks and pick off the shell, the stem and the thick fibers that run down its length. Remove the seeds and add the gummy pulp to the pot. Add the Canela (Cinnamon) Stick and the crushed Cumin Seeds and simmer one hour more.

Then, fish out the bones, chiles anchos, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Butter the insides of a large, shallow, earthenware casserole. With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat and other solids from the pot into the casserole. Pour in the juices from the pot and place in a 325° F. oven, uncovered, for about an hour to let the juices bake down and thicken.

Just before bringing to the table, stir in most of the chopped Cilantro. Quickly top with dollops of Sour Cream the long, red Chile Arbol and a sprinkle of the remaining cilantro for the colors of the Mexican flag.

Serve with Mucho Coronas con limon verde...........

Unfortunatly, I had knee surgury yesterday, so any good cooking is out this weekend. I'm thinking Coronas ,and Tequiza. I know smoking is mostly a sit and wait process. But my wife doesn't want me up too much yet. So can you guys please get so pictures for me to drool over? LOL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky