CI Grilled Tri Tip, Gravy, And Pasta Casserole (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Had some tri tip left over from the one I smoked last Sunday and wanted to use it up before it went south on me. As is typical this time of year, I'm in the pool with a margarita contemplating dinner and remembered the TT in the fridge. Thought about French Dip sandwiches...nah. Couldn't get my brain wrapped around those. Thought about just having cold sandwiches. Nah...just had something similar the night before. Then this monstrosity hit me from way out in left field...and it is WAY out there. Got the slicer out and shaved the rest of the TT and put a good bunch of it in a pan to get started.

In the pan with gravy, black pepper, garlic powder, and minced onion. Added a lot more gravy once I got it all mixed up.
001.jpg

Boil some pasta till it's close to being done and put it into a 6" CI skillets
002.jpg

Pile on the TT and gravy. Mushrooms on mine.
003.jpg

Add some mozz. Lots on mine, less on Tracy's
004.jpg

Onto the grill. Two burners on low so running about 425 once it heats up.
005.jpg

Got some garlic toast ready to go on the grill when the skillets are almost done
006.jpg

About 20 minutes (didn't really pay attention) and they are done. Just a bit of a char on the cheese, which I love
007.jpg

Gently slide it onto a plate and hope it doesn't self destruct. Served with the garlic toast and green beans. Time to eat.
008.jpg

Nice close up of this mess
009.jpg

On a perfect day this would have been a really good meal. For a super fast, easy sleazy dinner, it was fantastic. We were really surprised at how flavorful this came out for there being very little in the dish and it coming ready in about 45 minutes total time. While eating there was discussion of multiple options for this approach, and some of them sounded really good. I can see doing a variation or two of this real soon. It was a bit off-the-wall but that won't surprise many of you. The fact that it came out as well as it did, I thought made it worthy of sharing.

Well, thanks for dropping in. Time to go walk a fat dog and get ready to start yard work...oh what fun that always is :emoji_laughing: Y'all have a great weekend and see everybody soon if the heat doesn't take me out today.

Robert

Man that looks good. And a great use of left overs. I know with the heat we are having I dont want to run the oven and heat the house anymore than it already is.
Jim

Nice work Robert, I'll take Tracy's plate with your cheese. Currently 52* here, but it's windy as heck. I've got some leftover TT from my last cook, so maybe something similar to this is in the works. Thanks for the idea.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks excellent as always Robert!
You can take just about anything & make a delicious meal out of it!
Nice work!!
Al

I see the margaritas are still stoking the creative juices while relaxing in the pool, Robert! :emoji_laughing:

Never would have thought about shaving up a Tri-Tip. Next time make three and I'll be right over.
Great work there bud!

:emoji_blush: Did someone say gravy?
That looks delicious Robert! I really like your margarita time creations! I should go read your original tri tip thread that I believe is on the carousel...late and backwards!

Ryan

Man that looks good. And a great use of left overs.
Thanks Jim. It's fun trying to come up with new ideas to make stuff and not waste really good meat.
Really looks good Robert, amazing what a few drinks do for our creative side
Appreciate it Jim. There's more to the story than just margaritas and the pool. Maybe one day I'll post it and fill everybody in.
Nice work Robert, I'll take Tracy's plate with your cheese.
No problem Chris. However you want it, that's the way it'll be done :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks excellent as always Robert!
You can take just about anything & make a delicious meal out of it!
Nice work!!
Thanks so much Al. Any thread of creativity I may have was spawned here in SMF.
Looks Mighty Tasty, again Robert !!
Nice Job!
Very much appreciate it Bear...and it was tasty!!
Now my next Amazon order is a couple 6” skillets. Haha! Those look great. I love the idea.
Don't blame you a bit Sven. I use those things a lot. Also have some square ones that are about 4" x 4" give or take. Those are perfect for single servings. I used the skillets for these so Tracy would have leftovers for her lunch the next day.

Robert

That's some awesome brainstorming!
Brainstorm or brain fart? :emoji_laughing: I have this perverse sense of creativity at times and come up with some weird stuff. This was one of those times.
I see the margaritas are still stoking the creative juices while relaxing in the pool, Robert! :emoji_laughing:

Never would have thought about shaving up a Tri-Tip. Next time make three and I'll be right over.
Great work there bud!
Thanks so much Matt. My thought was that shaved roast beef is very common. What's really the difference between tri tip and roast beef....except more flavor in the tri tip. As for next time, I'll make sure to get the invite out a couple days ahead of time :emoji_wink: Would love to have you join us for one of these bizarre meals.
Really nice plate Robert, how many margaritas to come up with that?
Thanks Cliff. The afternoon typically starts off with a couple (or 6??) beers then switch over to margs. This was after a 30 ounce cup of margs and an hour or so in the pool.

Robert

Brainstorm or brain fart? :emoji_laughing: I have this perverse sense of creativity at times and come up with some weird stuff. This was one of those times.

Thanks so much Matt. My thought was that shaved roast beef is very common. What's really the difference between tri tip and roast beef....except more flavor in the tri tip. As for next time, I'll make sure to get the invite out a couple days ahead of time :emoji_wink: Would love to have you join us for one of these bizarre meals.

Thanks Cliff. The afternoon typically starts off with a couple (or 6??) beers then switch over to margs. This was after a 30 ounce cup of margs and an hour or so in the pool.

Robert
Like the way you think, I usually start out with a 32oz gin and diet tonic in either the pool or hot tub then go to Vadka and??? rest of the eve.

:emoji_blush: Did someone say gravy?
That looks delicious Robert! I really like your margarita time creations! I should go read your original tri tip thread that I believe is on the carousel...late and backwards!
I thought that might get your attention Ryan :emoji_wink: As noted in a previous reply, there is a story behind the margarita creations which I might post at some point so everybody understands. You are correct that the original thread is on the carousel. Not one of my best posts by a long shot. The staff must have been desperate for content after they got the carousel back up and running.
Easy, quick, and delicious lunch. What's not to love. Great job, Robert.
You are correct on all counts Gary and thank you for the kind words.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky