CI Grilled Spicy Sausage Manicotti (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Needed to get my Italian fix. We love it across the board and I tend to do a lot of Italian themed meals. Always loved Manicotti but it was such a pain to stuff the shells until this idea came about, which you'll see in a few minutes. Got a package of homemade spicy Italian sausage out, defrosted it, then cooked. Half went into the sauce and the other half went into the filling for the shells.

Sausage cooked and draining
002.jpg

Made the sauce early in the day so it had time for the flavors to fully develop
003.jpg

A horrid looking mess but this is the filing for the shells. Cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream (this is gonna be rich!!), garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, basil, and the other half of the sausage. No measurements. Just added stuff till it tasted the way I wanted it to.
004.jpg

Filling into the jerky cannon. Had an old set of plastic stuffing horns that were not being used so cut one down in length to minimize how much was left in the tube after the plunger bottomed out.
005.jpg

Only got 4 shells stuffed but that was going to be more than enough. Into the CI skillet
006.jpg

Ladle the sauce over the shells
007.jpg

A bunch of mozz, a good sprinkle of Parmesan, and garnish with parsley
008.jpg

Onto the grill running about 375
009.jpg

While the Manicotti is on the grill I cut up a nice salad
010.jpg

About 25 minutes it's hot all the way through and the cheese is starting to brown up nicely
011.jpg

Plated with the salad and garlic toast. Served up a lot like lasagna but if you look close you can actually see the Manicotti under all the sauce and cheese :emoji_wink:
012.jpg

A nice close up of the mess I made for dinner
013.jpg

This stuff was an absolute flavor bomb. It was also very rich and filling. All I could do to get through the two shells on my plate. Using the jerky cannon to stuff the shells is a game changer. Makes things SO much easier and a lot less messy. I've also found that the key to making this is to not cook the shells all the way. Boil till they are just starting to soften up. They will finish cooking in the skillet. If cooked all the way before stuffing them they tend to fall apart on you. I absolutely loved this meal and it is 100% authentic Italian. My good friend sawhorseray sawhorseray might even approve of this one :emoji_laughing: Tracy also loved the meal and was thrilled that there was one left for her lunch the next day. I do need to load up on cream cheese though because my dearly beloved has said we can have this once a week....and I might just take her up on it. This wasn't a quick 30 minute meal but it was well worth the time and effort.

Well I'm off to go do a whole lot of nothing for a change. Got to get the dehydrator out, get the meat on it, and finish up this batch of jerky...so that's something to do I guess. Y'all have a great day and keep those amazing meals coming. Sure has been a ton of fantastic content recently. Stay safe, be happy, and always remember to keep well hydrated while tending the cookers :emoji_wink:

Robert

oh man now I am starving, Looks great! I need to break out the CI and start doing some of your skillet bakes, awesome job Robert. I would think a pastry bag with a very big tip would also work if one does not have a jerky canon?

Looks great, I found out a pinch or 2 of mint works really well to smooth out the bitterness I get from Italian seasoning sometimes, no idea what gives it the bitter after taste but the mint smooths it out, if I could go back 40 years I would like to have become a chef and I would know all this stuff lol

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great Robert! And I was wondering what to make for dinner tomorrow. Might be seafood Manicotti now! I'm thinking with crab. Or lobster.

Good grief Robert, that is pure M-O-N-E-Y, love it! Has me thinking there might be something that'd fit a caulking gun, I've already got a few of those. Beautiful piece of work amigo! RAY

Man that looks good Robert! Your cast iron bakes sure turn out perfectly!

Ryan

Reactions: oberst
Some good looking manicotti Robert! Great idea using the cannon to stuff shells and also another great idea using the grill instead of heating up the kitchen. Nicely done!

I am really starting to think your Italian Robert!! Haha, Seriously that is just screen licking good!! :) I like the method on the filing “ kept adding until it tasted right”. Right up my alley.

Gosh Robert, it just doesn’t get much better than that. The jerky cannon idea is something I will use from now on. That would work really well for ABT’S, and a bunch of other things!!
Al

Robert, I really like Italian food, but my wife absolutely loves it and could probably eat it several times a week. This might be on the menu this week or next. Excellent meal!!

oh man now I am starving, Looks great! I need to break out the CI and start doing some of your skillet bakes, awesome job Robert. I would think a pastry bag with a very big tip would also work if one does not have a jerky canon?
Very much appreciate if Cliff. I've done the pastry bag before and that's what turned me off to making manicotti. As Steve noted, it takes 3 hands plus it's REALLY messy.
Looks great, I found out a pinch or 2 of mint works really well to smooth out the bitterness I get from Italian seasoning sometimes
Thank you Mike. I've found that if you make the sauce well ahead of time and just let it sit, the flavors marry and the bitterness you mentioned disappears. Everything just blends into a smooth, well balanced flavor profile.
I used to use a jerky cannon. But it was just too big and bulky. I'm using a pastry decorator now
Appreciate you chiming in Steve. This is some good info for the folks. I thought about getting one of those but I have no issues with the jerky cannon and I really don't need any more kitchen toys :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Looks great Robert! And I was wondering what to make for dinner tomorrow. Might be seafood Manicotti now! I'm thinking with crab. Or lobster.
Appreciate it Steve. I'd LOVE to see you do a seafood version of this again. I can't cook the stuff but I can live vcariously through you :emoji_wink:
Good grief Robert, that is pure M-O-N-E-Y, love it! Has me thinking there might be something that'd fit a caulking gun, I've already got a few of those. Beautiful piece of work amigo!
Thanks so much my friend. Not sure that I know of anything that would work in a caulking gun but if anybody can figure it out, that'd be you.
That looks delicous Robert!
Thank you Jim!!

Robert

Man that looks good Robert! Your cast iron bakes sure turn out perfectly!
Thank you Ryan. Only the CI cooks you see come out well. We won't talk about the ones you don't see :emoji_wink:
Well, I guess that pretty well sums it up :emoji_laughing: Thank you.,
Some good looking manicotti Robert! Great idea using the cannon to stuff shells and also another great idea using the grill instead of heating up the kitchen. Nicely done!
Appreciate if Joe. Steve is actually the one who mentioned using the jerky cannon after I did this once using a big injecting syringe to stuff a batch. He then went with the cake decorating device. The jerky cannon works well for me though.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky