Church sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremy5431

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 18, 2014
Full disclaimer, I did not make or have anything to do with making this sausage. The story is too good not to share.

Guardian Angles Calthoic church in Chaska MN has been making a German style bratwurst as a fundraiser for as least 50 years. I remember making the trip as a kid to Chaska every second Sunday in February with my Grand Parents for the the beef and sausage feed. As a kid I just wanted all the mashed potatoes I could eat, now I just buy the sausage.

It’s made by the men’s club once a year, and you can purchase the sausage the day before. I went in this year to get my dad 10 lbs of sausage for his birthday. I quickly found out 10 pounds is a small order. The guy in front of me bought 30 lbs, and the lady behind me bought 50 lbs. I would say they make over 1,000 lbs of sausage for this event.

Here is some of what they have prepped
85AE3E01-6069-4446-9CC6-B27823CFDBBC.jpeg

This is the only catholic school that I know of that has its own smoke house

0530965B-2723-4EDB-B230-B91F7E741065.jpeg

I would love to have people waiting in line to buy the sausage I make at home! #goals

I don’t have any other pics. I’ll get some next year.!

Interesting, smoked brats. Never had them before. Probably has some cure in it too?

Last edited:
I hear ya and I am no tax attorney so I realize now that was weak on my part to post so I am deleting.

Any idea of the recipe.....have had trouble finding a good brat to make

It is a great fundraiser. My dad has been trying to get the recipe for as long as I can remember without any luck!

I’ll find my brat recipe and post it.

They call this a brat, but I have never considered it one.

So much for “next year”.

If you’re around Chaska Minnesota next Sunday 2/12, you owe it yourself to go to the Guardian Angels catholic church beef and sausage dinner.

It’s the first year back since Covid!

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
LOL, My mothers family is all Irish Catholic from the Shakopee area with a few in Chaska and other surrounding towns... I used to visit them at least 3 or 4 times a year growing up in the 70s and 80s and always attended Catholic Church over there, often different churches depending on when their service was and if Granny liked the priest or not. I cant believe I have never heard of this, this is definitely something I am sure my Grandpa and Uncles were all in on if they were doing it back then.

This is pretty cool, I thought of starting something like this but with Pulled Pork as a fire department fund raiser during covid. people could pre order meat and sides and then I would just spend a couple days putting it all together and then filling boxes for them to pick up drive through style. Maybe next pandemic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky