Chunks in MES opinions pleez

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keywesmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2007
key west, fl
I took the stainless chip drop tray out of my MES, exposing the element and giving a lot more vertical room over it for chunks. I remember a poster saying just rest a 6" cast skillet right on the element, but right now I don't have one. I wonder if I can use a foil cupcake pan, or double wrap in HD foil and poke holes right on the element instead. Anyone tried this? I'm over feeding chips into it every few hours, especially when it's at 275* and I have chunks that won't fit the chute.

I agree that the wood tending gets to be quite often....Have my own supply of logs so am making marshmallow size chunks and feeding through the normal method....stretches the maintenance time over chips....Think you will just have to experiment as to how large a piece that works...guess that chopping your chunks in 1/2 is not an option?...keep me informed, thankyou, and good luck

I use an iron skillet and works fine I believe part of it is that the skillet will heat up and keep applying the heat even when the burner is off. You will not experience that with foil or a pan. However it will heat up faster. Try it and see how it goes

How about one of those cast iron boxes for chips from WalMart? Just leave the top off and you should have plenty of room for chunks. I think mine was about $6. It worked good in my ECB for chunks.

How about one of those cast iron boxes for chips from WalMart? Just leave the top off and you should have plenty of room for chunks. I think mine was about $6. It worked good in my grill for chunks.

I think if it is going to sit directly on the heating element, you should go with cast iron. I saw some 8 inch cast iron skillets at Academy Sports for like 4 dollars.

actually I'd be somewhat hesitant to use a heavy cast iron plate on the mes heating coil, I'd say you would be much safer using a alum pan instead, I think the cast iron could potentially actually put too much stress on the coil and break it.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky