Chucky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Richie. I just realized I didn't touch that bottle of horseradish at either meal, the flavor of the meat with the reduction sauce was off the charts. Pretty easy to do, had to add some water to the pot a couple of times. This will become a regular event here, I really like it. RAY

AWESOME!!!!!
Thanks for running with this, Ray!!
Looks Super!!
My next Chucky will be 54 hours, because of your exploratory work!!
I can't wait to try it.
Thanks!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
Great job on that chucky Ray! How is Bob doing? John

Bob's back to his old self John, like nothing ever happened! He's barking, fetching, jumping in the pool, and being the big smoocher he's always been. I see you must be pretty busy overseeing your projects lately, hope all is going well. Thanks for asking about Bob, and thanks for the Like. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
AWESOME!!!!! Thanks for running with this, Ray!! Looks Super!! My next Chucky will be 54 hours, because of your exploratory work!!
I can't wait to try it. Thanks!! Like. Bear

Yeah, I'm really happy with the way this turned out Bear, thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Dang. I remember the first time reading 12hr cook times and now 54. Wife won't tell me what she wants for dinner until 2 hours before... :emoji_laughing:

Another cool take away from your research. You can always rebag and continue the cook.

Dang. I remember the first time reading 12hr cook times and now 54. Wife won't tell me what she wants for dinner until 2 hours before... :emoji_laughing: Another cool take away from your research. You can always rebag and continue the cook.

Yeah, it's not like it was too tough to eat after 30 hours, I just liked it more after the added 20 hours in the sous vide. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Yeah, it's not like it was too tough to eat after 30 hours, I just liked it more after the added 20 hours in the sous vide. Thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

My only problem is during Spring or other storm seasons, it's not the surest thing that we'll have electric here for 48 hours in a row!!!

Bear

My first SV chucky was to be 48 hours from Baldwin's guidelines....Moreover, the sarcoplasmic protein enzyme collagenase remains active below 140°F (60°C) and can significantly tenderize the meat if held for more than 6 hours (Tornberg, 2005). This is why beef chuck roast cooked in a 131°F–140°F (55°C–60°C) water bath for 24–48 hours has the texture of filet mignon.......
tenderness increasing only slightly when cooked for 50 to 100 hours.

My first chucky went for 56 hours because of timing with a two day soak and things come up where you don't want to be held hostage to the SV. The result was going towards mushy from the fibers breaking down vs just the collagen. I haven't had a SV failure mostly because I've used only dry ingredients especially no raw garlic or extra virgin olive oil.

Damn Ray that first plate looks beautiful. That second out is even better. Never heard of 50 hour SV bath but damn hard to argue with the results! Thanks for posting!

Damn Ray that first plate looks beautiful. That second out is even better. Never heard of 50 hour SV bath but damn hard to argue with the results! Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the LIke John, I appreciate it. Just had a molar pulled, looks like sausage and burgers for the next week or so. It's always something! RAY

Awesome Ray .., that second/encore is exactly what SWMBO would look for ... have 2 chuckles in freezer, and now know what for Sunday dinner!

Like!

Awesome Ray .., that second/encore is exactly what SWMBO would look for ... have 2 chuckles in freezer, and now know what for Sunday dinner! Like!

Thanks for the Like Inscrutable, I appreciate it. RAY

Well Ray, I got one in the Sous Vide Supreme:
Since this thread I was anxious to try one for an extended time.
None on sale, so at $4.99 I told Mrs Bear to just get one.
So she came home with a Beauty---Nicely marbled & thicker than what we usually get.
So I shook a packet of Beefy Onion Soup in with the Chucky & sealed it up.
Then I put it in @ 132° at 2 PM today.
Should be taking it out at about 4 PM Sunday. Can't Wait !!!

Bear

I’m also about 18 hours into my first. I used a spice blend of salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Since a ‘prime rib’ comparative consistency, undecided whether to sear or not. Guess have plenty of time to contemplate ...

That's an interesting dilemma, to sear or not to sear? I remember seeing a sous vide video last year where a guy made a paste of butter and garlic and covered a boneless prime then charred it in a 550º oven, tho I forget for how long. It came out looking pretty darned nice as I recall. Well, with whatever you decide I hope you're happy with it. Take a picture and post it up. RAY

Well Ray, I got one in the Sous Vide Supreme:
Since this thread I was anxious to try one for an extended time.
None on sale, so at $4.99 I told Mrs Bear to just get one.
So she came home with a Beauty---Nicely marbled & thicker than what we usually get.
So I shook a packet of Beefy Onion Soup in with the Chucky & sealed it up.
Then I put it in @ 132° at 2 PM today.
Should be taking it out at about 4 PM Sunday. Can't Wait !!! Bear

They are on sale here this week for $2.98 lb, I'm going to go grab a few for the freezer today. Did you do a MSS rub on it Bear, or just go with the Beefy Onion Soup in place of the rub? RAY

They are on sale here this week for $2.98 lb, I'm going to go grab a few for the freezer today. Did you do a MSS rub on it Bear, or just go with the Beefy Onion Soup in place of the rub? RAY

I just went with the "Beefy Onion Soup".
I tried MSS a couple times & we didn't care for it. It seemed like little pieces of chipboard without taste & they fall off all over the kitchen, during prepping, smoking, slicing, etc.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky