Chuck roast grilled over open fire - camp fire cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Chuck roasts are usually cooked well done, either braised for pot roast, or smoked for BBQ beef.
But they also can be grilled slowly to medium or even medium-rare and turn out tender and juicy.
A lot of the fat should render, but collagen may not break down completely. So try to choose a roast with intra-muscular marbling but little inter-muscular fat. Usually, an arm roast may be a better choice than chuck.
Basting while cooking helps to keep the meat from drying out. Or the marinade can be omitted if dry brined overnight, but I would still baste.
Note: this is cooked over live fire, but can be easily adapted to cooking on a grill by using indirect heat. However, I would lower the cooking temperature to 275-300F if using a lid due to convection cooking.
More details of the cook are available in the description below youtube video.
Video is about 3 minutes, and I'm playing "I Can't Help Myself" on a ukulele. Hope you enjoy.

For those who don't like videos, here is pic of cooked roast.

P1030836.jpeg

Done it a hundred times - love it. My method is a little different; I usually buy a prime chuck roast, salt & pepper it, then grill it over very hot coals about 10-minutes each side depending on thickness. Then, wrap it up in aluminum foil and put it in the microwave and just forget about it for about an hour and a half. Perfect medium rare.

Slice thin across grain and everyone I have ever given a taste to asks for more!

Chuck is the best tasting beef there is, in my humble opinion.

Ever have a chuck-eye steak? Awesome tasting stuff!

Then, wrap it up in aluminum foil and put it in the microwave
Aluminum foil in the microwave? Granted it's been a long time since I've had to buy a new microwave but last I heard, there weren't supposed to be any metallic products used in one. Just curious if I'm that far behind the technology.

Robert

Aluminum foil in the microwave? Granted it's been a long time since I've had to buy a new microwave but last I heard, there weren't supposed to be any metallic products used in one. Just curious if I'm that far behind the technology.

Robert
I'm thinking he just puts it in the micro to sit Robert, never turns it on. Kitchen oven might be a safer spot, the Spook moves in mysterious ways! RAY

Robert
I never said "turn it on."

It's smaller than an oven and keeps the roast warm, longer.

I never said "turn it on."

It's smaller than an oven and keeps the roast warm, longer.
Yep, also do the same. I will place a cup of water in it and turn on for 90 seconds to get some residual heat going. Then place my wrapped meat in a towel or two and let it rest in there. For small to medium sized cuts, it works great.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Done it a hundred times - love it. My method is a little different; I usually buy a prime chuck roast, salt & pepper it, then grill it over very hot coals about 10-minutes each side depending on thickness. Then, wrap it up in aluminum foil and put it in the microwave and just forget about it for about an hour and a half. Perfect medium rare.
Slice thin across grain and everyone I have ever given a taste to asks for more!

Chuck is the best tasting beef there is, in my humble opinion.
So I do a slow cook, and you do a fast cook with long rest. Sounds like both methods work. Good to know. I'll have to try your way and compare.

I'm thinking he just puts it in the micro to sit Robert, never turns it on.
We sometimes use the microwave to hold food so the cat won't get it.

When I first heard about grilling chuck I said "no way." But yes, "way."
Chuck has a nice hearty beef flavor. Mighty good.
And the price tends to reasonable.

Yep, also do the same. I will place a cup of water in it and turn on for 90 seconds to get some residual heat going. Then place my wrapped meat in a towel or two and let it rest in there. For small to medium sized cuts, it works great.
That is a good idea! I am going to try that for sure.

Reactions: Bytor
We sometimes use the microwave to hold food so the cat won't get it.
What would a rat eater ever be doing in the kitchen? Wrap your stuff up in a thick towel and place in a decent ice cooler, maybe even use a couple of hot bricks to stretch things out if you have to. Get a dog that will love to eat bones, and keep cats away from your food! RAY
DSCN3509.JPG

DSCN3960.JPG

Reactions: BigW.
Steve, it's been a LONG, LONG time since I've seen that roast or a 7 bone chuck. I just don't see bone-in beef chucks or shoulders anymore around me. Nice cook, video, and accompaniment...

Wow that looks so good. I use to do that with 7 bone roast but never see them anymore. Thanks for the song!

Steve, it's been a LONG, LONG time since I've seen that roast or a 7 bone chuck. I just don't see bone-in beef chucks or shoulders anymore around me. Nice cook, video, and accompaniment...

I guess grocery stores quit doing the bone-in chucks because they didn't sell as well as the boneless ones. I get mine from my processor when I take a cow in for processing.

This recipe for cooking chuck roast sounds like a great option for those looking for a tender and juicy roast. The idea of grilling the roast slowly to medium or even medium-rare is interesting and can be a great way to cook the roast. The tip of choosing a roast with intra-muscular marbling but little inter-muscular fat is helpful and can help ensure a tender and juicy roast. The recommendation of basting while cooking to keep the meat from drying out, or dry brining overnight, is also a great idea.
The recipe is easy to understand and follow, the video that comes with it is very helpful, and the addition of playing a song on a ukulele is a nice touch. The instructions on adapting the recipe for cooking, like beef gravy recipe, on a grill using indirect heat and lowering the cooking temperature to 275-300F when using a lid is a good tip. Overall, this recipe looks like a great option for those looking to cook a chuck roast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retired Spook
Chuck roasts are usually cooked well done, either braised for pot roast, or smoked for BBQ beef.
But they also can be grilled slowly to medium or even medium-rare and turn out tender and juicy.
A lot of the fat should render, but collagen may not break down completely. So try to choose a roast with intra-muscular marbling but little inter-muscular fat. Usually, an arm roast may be a better choice than chuck.
Basting while cooking helps to keep the meat from drying out. Or the marinade can be omitted if dry brined overnight, but I would still baste.
Note: this is cooked over live fire, but can be easily adapted to cooking on a grill by using indirect heat. However, I would lower the cooking temperature to 275-300F if using a lid due to convection cooking.
More details of the cook are available in the description below youtube video.
Video is about 3 minutes, and I'm playing "I Can't Help Myself" on a ukulele. Hope you enjoy.

For those who don't like videos, here is pic of cooked roast.

View attachment 639618

What a great video and great looking meal! I replied previously but never made it through the full video - just great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky