Chuck roast chili...lots of beans!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
So since it's been kinda chilly here I've been trying to get some things off my to do list. One of those was making chili with smoked chuck roast. Didn't know exactly where this was gonna end up but with a starting point recipe from TNJAKE TNJAKE And also some ideas from Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ I had a general direction. Chuck roast was $4.99 a lb, not terrible, so got a 4.75 lb roast

20220115_165411.jpg

There was a good chunk of fat on one side so cut a piece off and placed on top of half that's gonna be used in chili. Seasoned with some hatch chili, some homemade chili powder, Italian spice & salt, ribeye steak seasoning, and smoked paprika

20220116_114504.jpg

20220115_172308.jpg

Other half of chuck roast will go to pulled beef. Both chunks put in smoker then finished in oven. Half for chili removed at IT 170, other half taken to 205 IT.

20220115_232039.jpg

While doing some research I saw where others were using bacon grease to saute veges in...well we didn't have any bacon grease so had to make some...1/2 lb of bacon fried up, and of course added to the chili cuz why wouldn't ya.

20220116_101813.jpg

Onion and garlic saute in bacon grease

20220116_104625.jpg

A lb of breakfast sausage cooked in bacon grease then the bacon, onions and garlic added back in

20220116_105928.jpg

2 lbs smoked chuck roast into the pot, mostly cubed but some shredded after removing fat to get 2 lbs.

20220116_110104.jpg

Some additions to the pot...recipe to follow

20220116_111158.jpg

12 oz beer
4 cloves garlic chopped
1 onion chopped
2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs beef better than bouillon
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp white sugar
1/2tsp coriander
4 oz can diced green chili
1 pt. Homemade (canned) diced tomatoes
1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 qts homemade (canned) tomato juice
2 - 30 oz cans Mrs Grimes chili beans

This sure turned out really good!

20220116_151722.jpg

Of course I needed something to dip into my chili with so made a batch of Parker house rolls from The Prepared Pantry

20220116_192634.jpg

And a plated shot of chili with fresh bun, fruits, green onion, sour cream, and shredded smoked cheddar cheese!

20220116_200243.jpg

It was absolutely as good as I hoped for !

Ryan

Last edited:
Looks outstanding bet it was good

Great job, Ryan. I know that really hit the spot on a cold winter's day.

Crushed that one Ryan!!!!! I love using the bacon fat. Your Chili plate looks like a dream for a subzero day! Great work!

WHAT?? I thought everyone kept a bowl of bacon grease in their fridge
My wife kind of has an aversion to bacon grease and lard due to some kind of perceived detriment to one's health, so I just gotta sneak it into stuff I cook. What she don't know can't hurt her, as they say.

Great job, Ryan. I know that really hit the spot on a cold winter's day.
Thank you! It really hit the spot! And do enough research...bacon grease and lard really not that bad for ya! Just don't ask the so called experts!

Ryan

Nice pot of chili, for the cool days ahead . Sounds like great ingredients Ryan

I would have no problem asking for seconds

David
Thank you David! Was fun to make! And tasted wonderful!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Crushed that one Ryan!!!!! I love using the bacon fat. Your Chili plate looks like a dream for a subzero day! Great work!
Thanks Jed! You been posting some awesome cooks yourself! But your daughters card still has me smiling!

Ryan

• Love
Reactions: bauchjw
WHAT?? I thought everyone kept a bowl of bacon grease in their fridge...🤣

Anyway, you win!! That chili looks fantastic...😋
Haha! Got smallish tub of bacon grease and large one of rendered pork fat plus duck fat in the fridge ready to use. I just don't believe some folks saying it's bad for you. I would rather use them then the "man made " crap that sell.

Wow Ryan that'll sure keep ya warm !
Looks great and mighty tasty and love the dollop of sour cream on top !
And yes sir....gotta keep those bacon drippings handy 🙂

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Haha! Got smallish tub of bacon grease and large one of rendered pork fat plus duck fat in the fridge ready to use. I just don't believe some folks saying it's bad for you. I would rather use them then the "man made " crap that sell.
Exactly! Have 2 or 3 containers of lard in freezer but plenty of bacon so let's add it in also! But I'm not going out skinny!

Ryan

Wow Ryan that'll sure keep ya warm !
Looks great and mighty tasty and love the dollop of sour cream on top !
And yes sir....gotta keep those bacon drippings handy 🙂
Thanks Keith! I appreciate it !

Ryan

Ryan, Outstanding! We just finished my last pot of chili. Do you mind if I snitch your think'in on this? I just believe it may find its way into my kitchen.

Question tho, What is top
"1 top cumin
2 top smoked paprika
2 top oregano
1 top unsweetened cocoa
2 top white sugar"
I assume the top to the spice jar, can you give a better approx volume measurement +/-?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky