Christmas Turkey smoke wit Q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sprky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 26, 2007
Hutchinson Kansas
Good afternoon Fellow smoke hounds,

Per the norm I smoked 2 turkeys for Christmas. These turkeys were put in brine Dec 20th. They were in the brine for 4 days, they were 16# fresh turkeys.  I used my standard honey brine;

Honey brine

1 1/2 Gal filtered water

3/4 cup (6 oz) kosher salt

32 oz honey

2 TBSP (1 1/2 oz) pink salt

4 bay leaves

2 TBSP pickling spice

3/4 tsp ground cloves

Add everything EXCEPT the honey and pink salt to 1 quart of water and bring to boil stirring to dissolve the salt and extract oils. I allow it to cool and place in freezer. On day of brining I add Pink salt and honey to remaining water and then add frozen. This gives me very cold brine to start with.

The turkeys were smoked at around 275 with my 12”AMTS filled with perfect mix pellets.  They smoked for about 8 hours each to an IT of 165. The pop up that comes with the turkeys was popped up at 138 when I put my probe in at 4 hours. Goes to show you can’t rely on them.  The turkeys were very moist and a nice golden brown, and had a nice shine to them. 

Turkey # 1 If you look on the pan you can see how juicy it is

Turkey #2 This was sitting on a white cutting board it doesn't show the juices as well

Yes they are so shiny that they reflect the flash. 

Pic of the pop up that was popped at 138 when I put my probe in at 4 hours. I didn't take a pic at 4 hours but it was popped.

There ya have it my Christmas smoked turkeys. Hope ya all enjoyed.

Nice Birds ,Sprky
drool.gif

The Honey thingy sounds great
icon_mrgreen.gif

Have fun and . . .

Very nice looking birds. I did one also for x-mas. Did not look as good as those.

NICE WORK

Nice Birds ,Sprky
drool.gif

The Honey thingy sounds great
icon_mrgreen.gif

Have fun and . . .
Thanks Guys. I can not say all my birds have looked this good, I have had some pretty black ones, when I first started. Since I have started using the honey brine and the AMTS they have all looked good. The honey gives them a nice shine, and the AMTS gives off just the right amount of smoke to give them a nice golden  color. I have yet to figure out how to keep the wing tips from turning black, but it's no big deal.When they stay tucked in they don't but that is hit and miss.

Give the honey brine a try, if you like the honey smoked turkey you get from the deli you'll LOVE this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky