Choosing a pork blade shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

96Romeo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2020
Went to the store the other day and noticed pork blade shoulders with a lot of fat on the top and some that must've had the fat trimmed off. Which do I want for smoking? I heard that fat renders and keeps the meat moist, but there should be enough fat in it to be fine is another argument. And the rub won't penetrate the fat cap. Thoughts as to which one I should get and why. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends how you like your finished product and if you plan on wrapping during cooking. Personally I would get the trimmed one. I trim most the fat myself. This way you’re saving time and aren’t paying for scraps. But I also wrap my blade shoulders after 4-5 hours. If you’re not planning on wrapping and leave the fat in, go for the fat. It’s all your personal preference.

Reactions: 96Romeo
I would go with the trimmed one also, like you said there is enough fat in the blade shoulder to keep it moist.

I guess I'm different:
I'd go for the one with the fat, but then I'd trim it down to about 1/2" of fat, if need be.
Then I'd cut a cross-hatch through the fat, in about 3/4" to 1" squares, all the way into the meat, so the Smoke & seasonings can get to the meat through the cuts. Be sure to put the fat side up.

Bear

I guess I'm different:
I'd go for the one with the fat, but then I'd trim it down to about 1/2" of fat, if need be.
Then I'd cut a cross-hatch through the fat, in about 3/4" to 1" squares, all the way into the meat, so the Smoke & seasonings can get to the meat through the cuts. Be sure to put the fat side up.

Bear
Interesting I never thought of cutting squares in the fat

21_PorkButt.jpg

I go by price, if it's got a nice fat cap on it I'll trim it off and freeze it for sausage or to add to burgers in the future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky