Chips in AMNPS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrapps

Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
So I love my AMNPS although I admit despite trying multiple things I have read here on the forums I can't get it to stay lit in my MES40. Even with the chip tray all the way out and a small fan lightly blowing air into the intake, when the pellets get to the end of the first row along the back wall it never seems to burn through to Row 2.

Has anyone ever tried mixing in a few wood chips with the pellets? just wondering if it might help my burn or will it just cause everything to burn too quickly?

So I love my AMNPS although I admit despite trying multiple things I have read here on the forums I can't get it to stay lit in my MES40. Even with the chip tray all the way out and a small fan lightly blowing air into the intake, when the pellets get to the end of the first row along the back wall it never seems to burn through to Row 2.

Has anyone ever tried mixing in a few wood chips with the pellets? just wondering if it might help my burn or will it just cause everything to burn too quickly?
If I had that problem (which I don't), and I was taking the 20 minutes to get it lit properly, like I instruct, I would drill a small hole on the bottom left side of my MES, and stick the end of an aquarium pump line right in next to the AMNPS.

And NO I never tried chips in my AMNPS, but I believe it would be much harder to burn chips in an AMNPS than pellets.

Bear

Last edited:
I tried oak chips from my planer a few times. The first time it burned for 1/2 a row. I have never been able to top that. Just keeps going out. The saw dust from the table saw works really well if it is dry.

Try taking the water tray out and laying the pellet tray over the opening. If you have the gen 2 mes you might try to dremel out the exhaust vent or taking it out completely and replacing with an elbow from home dept or lowes. The air flow on the new gen mes is not good. I used both methods and it fixed my problem.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky