Chimney Starters?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slow smoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Greer, SC
I try to always start wood/charcoal with a chimney starter but the plastic-handled ones I’ve recently been using are awful. The plastic handle gets so hot it melts. I have to use a glove to pick it up. I thought the handle would protect me from the heat but it doesn’t work because the handle is nearly liquid when I’m ready to pour the coals or wood out for grilling or smoking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I just started using one (weber) it does get hot, but not melt handle hot. I put just a little lump in it and when that turns white and flame is gone I dump it.

I've had the same Weber chimney for many years and the handle hasn't melted. Like others said, it does get hot, but it hasn't melted. I even use it to sear steaks/chops when they come out of the SV. I just light about 3/4 of a chimney of lump, throw a grate over the top and use it like a grill.

Reactions: slow smoker
I use a Weber also. They are the best built imo. Been using this one for about 3 years. It's usually left outside uncovered and barely any rust. Handle gets hot but not too hot to dump it with my bare hands
IMG_20220710_145726.jpg

Reactions: slow smoker
I use a Weber too. I don’t know how hot the handle gets because I use gloves just in case :)

I have a cheap one from home depot. It has a wood handle. I wear a glove most of the time for sparks and ash, but still never had a hot handle when I skipped the glove.

But it's starting to rust and flake into my charcoal after a year. Time to be replaced.

Reactions: Marknmd
I have a cheap one from home depot. It has a wood handle. I wear a glove most of the time for sparks and ash, but still never had a hot handle when I skipped the glove.

But it's starting to rust and flake into my charcoal after a year. Time to be replaced.
I probably have the same one you do. Home Depot. Wood handle. I don't like it. Flimsy. The briquets often slip out of the grate before I can dump it. I'm going with Weber or Kingsford next time. Quote me on that.

I've had mine several years too . Been patched more than once , and finally burned the bottom out and the rivets on the side . This thing saw fire 3 or 4 times a week before I got the pellet grill .
A new one was $ 45.00 . So I went home and headed to the shop .
20220409_202439.jpg

The handle was the best part .
20220409_204518.jpg
The cone was rusted out , but I saved the ring as a bottom stop .
Added the security mesh .
20220411_110319.jpg
I like the flat bottom a lot better .
20220411_192423.jpg
Used some SS bolts and washers to put it back together .
Hope to get another 10 years or so .
20220411_192418.jpg

I am kind of impatient. When I go to light mine I set it atop a propane burner and it gets started very quickly. Then allow to finish on the ground. I also use a torch to light charcoal in my komado grill. They make a nice sear, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky