Chimney starter question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markus2982

Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Random question that may be a little silly. I found that the firebox opening on my offset smoker is just a little too small for me to set my chimney starter in. I have read people staying you shouldn't put coals in the cook chamber so it would seem the starter in there is out also.

Where do you all put your chimney to start it up? Is what I read wrong on the cook chamber?

You don't want coal dust on the grill of your cook chamber Markus, start it up on the Weber. RAY

Thanks all. My kettle is rusted out so we got rid of it. Will have to find another solution.

I use the side burner on our gas grill, it's the only thing it gets used for.

Ryan

On a rock, ground, cement pad anything that isn't flammable will do.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
h9RgR.jpg

I've never used a chimney starter in my life. On my small cookers I use a MAPpro gas torch ^^, and on my bigger pits I use a propane weed burner. For a smoking fire I only light one spot and allow the fire to spread on it's own finding small pieces of flavor wood or flavor pellets over the next 10, 12, or more hours. for a grilling fire I light 3 spots. I also can use either torch to sanitize/sterilize (by fire) my grates.
592kM9i.jpg

Last edited:
For starting my charcoal cabinet I set my chimney on my Kamado grill grate. Once burned down I pour them on top of the basket of my lump charcoal and wood chunks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky