CHILI (BUT NOT CHILI)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks fantastic. Up here we call it Over the top chili. Beef gets smoked over the chili. Then added when done. I could use a bowl of that. It was cold out this morning!

That is chili in my neck of the woods. Looks excellent! Wife just made a batch Saturday and froze it.

Sowsage Sowsage did you start your veggies and sauce inside on the oven with the dutch oven then take everything to the smoker?
The only part I did on the stove top was cook the onions and peppers enough to soften them up a bit. Then I took it off the heat and added all the canned stuff. I forgot to add a picture of the 29oz can of whole tomatoes. I drained them and chopped them. Everything else was not drained. Just open the cans and dump them in.

Reactions: JLeonard
That is an interesting Chili/NonChili, interesting enough that I'd happily try a bowl.
Looks good enough to eat.
Thanks chile!
I dont care what you call it.....Set me up with a big bowl and a hunk of jalapeno cheese cornbread!
Jim
Thanks Jim! We did have corn bread with it! Cant forget that!
That looks good to me! I've been wanting to do a slow smoked chili recently, especially with the weather turning cold!
Thanks terryd! Yep the cool mornings is what got me motivated!

Reactions: terryd
Looks fantastic. Up here we call it Over the top chili. Beef gets smoked over the chili. Then added when done. I could use a bowl of that. It was cold out this morning!
Thanks Steve! That name sure fits! Been having some cool mornings here. It really hit the spot!

Reactions: Steve H
That is chili in my neck of the woods. Looks excellent! Wife just made a batch Saturday and froze it.
thanks gator! I was going to freeze some too but after chili omelets the next morning and kids ate it up for lunch the next day there was only a small amount left. Ivy took that to work with her this morning! I cant belive we ate all that in a couple days! Lol!
That looks like some Outstanding Chili!!
Nice Job Travis!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! We really enjoyed it. Really hit the spot!

uhy.gif

I'm gonna need you to go ahead and send a bowl of that my way. That would be great. Thanks!

I don't care what its called it looks great man! I like throwing fritos on the bottom of mine and then topping with what you did. Got me hungry!

So in Ohio we have chili.....its not chili its not even close to chili. Its tomato based and full of beans. But thats what its called around here. So that beeing said whatever you want to call this stuff its really good! I'll show you how I make mine on the smoker. Real easy and comforting food for the cool weather coming.

I start with cooking down some onion and red bell peppers in a little bacon fatView attachment 463920

Then I add in , ranch style beans,kidney beans, tomato sauce, green chilis and a 29oz can of whole tomatoes chopped.View attachment 463921View attachment 463922

Next up 2lb of ground brisket seasons with salt,pepper,cumin and bbq rubView attachment 463923View attachment 463924

The beef gets put on a rack over top of the tomatoes and beans so they can catch all the drippings.View attachment 463925

Once its cooked and absorbed some smoke I break it all apart add add to the potView attachment 463926View attachment 463927View attachment 463928

It then goes back on the smoker for a couple hours to finish up
Here it is fresh out of the smoker
View attachment 463929
Then into a bowl with some cheese and sour cream.View attachment 463930
Thanks for taking a look!
Damn, that looks awesome for a bean casserole. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

I'm a TX chili lover by heart but there is no way in hell that I'd ever push away a bowl of your chili it looks great. I find it hysterical when people argue what other people call chili it's kinda like people arguing which State has the best BBQ.....when everybody knows that TX has the best BBQ. :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
1600763894402.png

they are predicting temps of 60s/40s here in the Memphis area next weekend. I might just have to follow your lead on this!
Jim

So in Ohio we have chili.....its not chili its not even close to chili. Its tomato based and full of beans. But thats what its called around here. So that beeing said whatever you want to call this stuff its really good! I'll show you how I make mine on the smoker. Real easy and comforting food for the cool weather coming.

I start with cooking down some onion and red bell peppers in a little bacon fatView attachment 463920

Then I add in , ranch style beans,kidney beans, tomato sauce, green chilis and a 29oz can of whole tomatoes chopped.View attachment 463921View attachment 463922

Next up 2lb of ground brisket seasons with salt,pepper,cumin and bbq rubView attachment 463923View attachment 463924

The beef gets put on a rack over top of the tomatoes and beans so they can catch all the drippings.View attachment 463925

Once its cooked and absorbed some smoke I break it all apart add add to the potView attachment 463926View attachment 463927View attachment 463928

It then goes back on the smoker for a couple hours to finish up
Here it is fresh out of the smoker
View attachment 463929
Then into a bowl with some cheese and sour cream.View attachment 463930
Thanks for taking a look!
That’s unique twist but I like the method and I’ll try this!
You are correct it’s not chili with out beans :emoji_thumbsup:

Damn, that looks awesome for a bean casserole. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

I'm a TX chili lover by heart but there is no way in hell that I'd ever push away a bowl of your chili it looks great. I find it hysterical when people argue what other people call chili it's kinda like people arguing which State has the best BBQ.....when everybody knows that TX has the best BBQ. :emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:
View attachment 464185
Lol! Bean casserole is really what it is! Nice looking brisket!

they are predicting temps of 60s/40s here in the Memphis area next weekend. I might just have to follow your lead on this!
Jim
Heck yea! That would be a good time for it. Perfect for cool weather!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky