Child labor?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Another day of school cancelled for ice!
Do I have to pay him If he enjoys it? Lol!
I love days like this. Ryder gets to hang out in the shop with dad and learn a few things he doesn't get from school. (Maybe a few things he shouldn't learn lol!)
0126211007b.jpg
0126211008a.jpg

My first, second and third jobs were in body shops. Then I smartened up some.

Reactions: chopsaw
My first, second and third jobs were in body shops. Then I smartened up some.
I can understand that... Have to be in the right shop I guess....i usually turned 80-100 hours flat rate in a 35-45 hour work week when I was out on the floor all the time. Made killer money for a long time....then I baught the shop in 2006. Dont like dealing with the insurance companies all the time but I made the right move. Its worked out well for me.

Reactions: JLeonard
I was an ASE certified mechanic for about ten years before I got in the Carpenters .
In the summer the boss's son would hang out at the shop . That kids always had a scab on some part of his body . We used to walk by and spray a little carb cleaner on him . Took about 2 to 3 minutes to eat thru the scab . Then the screamin started . Lol .

I'm a retired master auto tech myself and enjoyed a lifetime of working in a shop, so good on you for getting that kid dirty.
Please please however, watch his exposure to VOC's, knarly old rats like us can take some nasty chems and shrug them off more or less, but kiddo's don't need extra twists added to the DNA coils.

Looks like a red scotch brite getting ready for jamming. Then again it's been quite few years since I painted a car. Looks like he's enjoying himself at least.

My Dad wasn't a mechanic, he was a mailman. He was a rural carrier which meant that he used his own vehicle to deliver the mail and sell stamps and money orders to the boonies. Before I was in school and sometimes during the summer months he'd take me along on his route as his "assistant". My "job" was to hand him the free samples of cereal, detergent, toothpaste, whatever so he could stick in the mailboxes with the mail. Mom would pack us sandwiches and we'd sit somewhere for lunch. Maybe not the same as working in a shop but I'm 56 now and Dad has been gone about 15 years now and those are still some of my best memories of time spent with him. Bravo to you for giving him this gift.

Nice job Travis, looks like he is totally into it! Always nice for Dads and kids to work together! My son and daughter are always helping.... some kids today don’t like to help!

Some of the best times with my Dad is when we were fixing fence, digging post holes, cleaning out the ditch, etc! Good times!

Last edited:
Back when I worked Trauma ER on night shift I took my son with me to work on occasion when he got close to being old enough to drive. He got to see first hand what drinking and driving, being stupid in a car, and lots of other things did to a person. Stuck with him.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky